Whats the best Optical drive for enthusiast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techfan47

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Hi, i am building a gaming pc. And i need the best optical drive out there.
Even if its is expensive. Any ideas??
Thanks

techfan47

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I will use it to intall games, sowtware. I need the internal drive which is the best on the market nomatter the cost... Plextor??? :sol:

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Most of the Plextor drives are now made by Lite-On. They also make drives for Sony and ASUS and many other brands. DVD drives are pretty well established technology and are equally reliable. The only real difference is the faceplate. Just get the one that looks best to you.

techfan47

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Hmmm Plextor drives are still faster than Asus or Lite-On....

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

If your referring to the 24X drives from Plextor, they are manufactured by Lite-On and Lite-On sells its own version of the 24X drives.

techfan47

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

but which one is the best on the market??? :sweat:

PCGaming247

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
well the best OP Drives to me are ones that one can watch and write blue-ray, DVD, CDs, and Light Scribe, and these ones I recomend:
It won't write DB, but still a great drive with free software:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-12XReadable-DVD-Writable-SH-B123L-BSBP/dp/B003XIM3QK/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1393738515&sr=1-8&keywords=blue+ray+optical+drive

This Ones Does It All, But I hate Nero:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Internal-Playback-Software/dp/B00HVMR9WM/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1393738515&sr=1-9&keywords=blue+ray+optical+drive

hammercp

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Hi techfan47 I am on the market for second optical drive. I also want the best no matter the cost. I haven't finish my research and test but Advice don't buy any LG drives, some people can read the spec online and tell you "o this drive does it all" but will it do what it says ? I bought a LG drive because I wanted to have MDisk capable drive , like the one PcGaming is recommending, turn to be junk. I bought several different models of LG to finish my testing , it turn for dvd reading is half speed compared to other dvd drives and worst part coming :

You burn dvd ok , but you don't know who will be able to read then after that, some devices does some doesnt , you don't want a bunch of dvds that you'll find out in the future are only readable in the original dvd burner , right ?

These are thing you won''t find in the specs of the drives, I would expect if someone recommend a drive will be at least someone who tested the drive himself , not just reading the advertisement of the box , which anybody who can read can do that himself.

I sympathies people who think like me : the best no matter the cost.. " and wanted to warn you about those drives that are now on the market look cool and claim to do "everything" , with so much manufactures trying to sell their junk is hard to find good product now days to do good job.

hammercp

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
The original question was "what is the best optical drive if money don't matter.." , so it doesn't matter if someone like LG because fit in his budget , I am not rich to afford buying cheap stuff.
The model you suggest is not even internal drive, not to mention is sitting side way , but that another discussion.

The idea is to share experience with something you personally tested, because every manufacturer will advertise their drive as great drive even if it's junk. LG has a great specs , that's why I bought it , but I got burned because its useless. I think you are missing the point here.

By the ways as the other guy suggest this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
is a great drive if you are only looking for dvd burner.

PCGaming247

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
My first post; both internal, I answered the question I also provided a external option, however; just cause you don't care for my post don't mean that I didn't answer the question, it looks like you just want some big price item, well internal OP Drives are not longer "Big Buck"!

PS I use the Asus Black as well, and love it.

hammercp

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

Do you own any of the drives you recommend ?

PCGaming247

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

For 16 years I have been a Computer tech, starting with a scholarship to Cisco Systems, in high school, then I went to collage for my bachelors in computer science, with an emphasis in computer programming. I have been working on computers all my life, what knowledge do you have in this area?

DataMedic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Just FYI that wasn't a personal jab, but it's my experience that if you have to resort to hyping up your education credentials, you probably don't know what your talking about.

hammercp

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

I have the drive you are talking about and its very good drive so far if you are only looking for DVD read write.

hammercp

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

Here is something even fancy-er :

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-International-Direct-Blu-Ray-BW-16D1HT/dp/B00DWFPDJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393749939&sr=8-1&keywords=BW-16D1HT

I am thinking to buy that one , not because of the higher burning speed , but because is the only one Asus drive the supports Mdisk , which is my main reason to buy it.

PCGaming247

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Sorry for being snappy, but I answered the question, yet I get jabbed and you still are jabbing me, but what ever makes you feel good about yourself.

As far as what is the best optical drive it depends on what you want to use it for, and what Brands you like, everyone has their "likes". I like ASUS they and they are inexpensive and get the job done. However; when I think of "best optical drives" I think you want it to do it all. Like M-Disc, light scribe, blue-ray (read & write),quad layer, tripple layer, dual layer saport, DVD/CD, basicly a top dog "Combo optical drive"

Here are some more options:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-2208-BD-Writer-Cyberlink-Retail/dp/B00DPODYJC/ref=zg_tr_1292107011_22

http://www.amazon.com/BH16NS40-Blu-Ray-Disc-Rewriter-Laufwerk/dp/B00AK1TNL6/ref=zg_tr_1292107011_37

I was tryn to find this one that did all of the above but can't find it, ill post when I do.

hammercp

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

In my particular case only M-Disk is import. You are wrong for both drives you mention:

LG is not a good drive I already regret buying it that's why I am looking for NEW drive.

Pioneer is good and I already have it, but you are wrong about it too , because IT DOESNT SUPPORT MDISK , nor any pioneer drives.

Do you see what I mean when I was "jabbing" about your suggestion ?

This is getting close to banhammer time. Lay off the insults, and get back on topic.

As someone who's had an LG drive in their HTPC for probably 6 years now, I've had no issues. You realise they're still probably just yet another rebadged Lite-on?

I'll have to dig up the source, but I think that I read somewhere that the 'extra long lasting' type discs actually didn't last as long, because there were fewer made so they didn't get the bugs ironed out as fully - proven tech and all that.

@hammercp, go make your own thread. Don't hijack someone else's.

@OP, I'd suggest getting the cheapest DVD drive you can. It doesn't sound like you need any special features, and they all tend to perform practically the same. I believe the Samsung ones were quite highly recommended, though.

walterg74

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Wow.. Never seen so much fighting, and over a dumb dvd drive no less... Gues the OP can't wrap around his head this is just a mainstream product with little to no variation and any will work fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.