Whats the best option for monitor to GPU connection.

The_Freeman

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
Hello Internet.

I have got a new GPU with a DVI-I input and a monitor with VGA and DVI-D. I was wondering what the best option is for cables, as I could go with the following:

VGA to DVI-I
DVI-I to VGA adapter then VGA to VGA
DVI-D to DVI-I (both dual links)

Will any of these hinder my possible fps. If you do help me with which is better please link a website for me to buy it from as it can get quite confusing (£ (GBP))

Thanks in advance :)

The_Freeman

Solution
Dual Link DVI-D on both sides is exactly what you want.

The DVI-I is just what's on the back of your GPU because it's universal and can take any type of DVI made. So you want to use the highest bandwidth DVI cable you can, which is a Dual Link DVI-D.

Compare the picture of DVI-D to the DVI-I that's posted above. You'll see the only difference is that there are two pin holes above and two pin holes below the bar on the left. All those four pins do is allow compatibility with older, analog cables. Notice in the picture above that the only DVI cables with the pins...

Eggz

Distinguished
Generally, more pins is better, and that holds true for DVI

DVIQA.jpg

[Note that the image above has older information on resolution. Below is more accurate, but the above image is helpful for seeing what the pins look like]

Dual link DVI-I has all DVI interfaces bundled together. That's why you see it on the back of your GPU. The best DVI is the digital dual link version (Dual Link DVI-D) which you can plug into your DVI-I connection on your GPU.

Get a Dual Link DVI-D cable and plug it directly into your monitor without any conversion. It will run monitors at the full 60 hz refresh rate up to 2560x1600

Select as best answer if this helped :)

Display-connectors-comparison6502.png

The_Freeman

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

Can you link were I could buy one in the uk please? :)

The_Freeman

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

But that's dvi d to dvi d not dvi d to I - does that not matter

Eggz

Distinguished
Dual Link DVI-D on both sides is exactly what you want.

The DVI-I is just what's on the back of your GPU because it's universal and can take any type of DVI made. So you want to use the highest bandwidth DVI cable you can, which is a Dual Link DVI-D.

Compare the picture of DVI-D to the DVI-I that's posted above. You'll see the only difference is that there are two pin holes above and two pin holes below the bar on the left. All those four pins do is allow compatibility with older, analog cables. Notice in the picture above that the only DVI cables with the pins above and below the bar are the analog ones.

Point is, you just plug any type of DVI cable (dual link, single link, I, D, A, etc.) into the DVI-I port, and it will work. In your case, your monitor supports Dual Link DVI-D, which is the best DVI. So use that. It's what I linked you.

. . . Just as a side note, I don't think a Dual Link DVI-I "cable" exists. It's just the jack on video cards. They only made it so you don't need a crap-ton of ports on your video card. Just that one will run any and all DVI cables.

There's probably no DVI-I cables because the four pins around the bar on the left would make it physically impossible to plug into a DVI-D, which doesn't have holes for those fours pins.

Solution

The_Freeman

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

Ahh that makes sense, thanks for teaching me something new :)