Question What's the best PC case mod you've ever seen?

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Different strokes for different strokes and all that, so everyone will have their own personal favorite style of case mod. With all that subjectiveness in mind, what's your favorite case mod ever?

When I was a bit younger, I'd say I was enamored by the concept of a Borg Cube PC case. I know they exist and how expensive they are, so I've never owned one, but, still...very cool, in my nerdy mind.

So, what's the coolest case mod out there? Feel welcome to link pictures of specific cases that stand out for you.

Let's see what's out there!

Reactions: khan234

USAFRet

Titan
From several years ago...

733.jpg

Reactions: bit_user

USAFRet

Titan
And of course, our own @thorkon

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020
I have the Cooler Master Haf. Full tower to provide enough space. I just didn't like the top front water cooler option rubber mat, which I lost. Now there's an open space with holes. It's a bit basic but practical for my gaming use. Any suggestions for something like it???

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
And of course, our own @thorkon
Amazing stuff, but I'd like to see him go for FCC certification... or even UL.

The "WMD Part 2" case, on the other hand, looks like it could survive an attack by one!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'll contribute a failed case mod: I once applied vibration absorbing foam to the inside of one. I'm not sure it helped make the case much quieter, but it surely made it hotter and a little tighter to work in.

Other minor mods I've done:
  • I dressed the cables of a PSU, before it was common for them to come that way. This was mostly in the interest of improving airflow. It was annoying, tedious, and I'm not even sure it was worth it.
  • I used shrink tubing and other materials to block light bleed from a bright, blue power LED that was seeping out of the cracks around the facade.
  • I drilled holes to mount a 3rd 2.5" SSD in a case that had mounts for only 2. Here's where I really learned to appreciate the precision required in metal work. As I didn't have the proper tools, some of my holes ended up needing to be fairly oblong. :(
  • I attached a bit of HVAC filter material to the front of a case, before it was easy to find cases with removable air filters.
  • Lian Li used to sell a vibration-absorbing PSU gasket that helps avoid vibrations being transmitted from your PSU to the case.
Beyond that, just things like swapping fans, folding cables, and I once swapped the feet of one Lian Li case to match the chrome feet of its sibling.

The coolest case mod is where you build your PC inside of a small freezer. This removes all the moisture from the air and allows continuos operation at sub zero temperatures with no condensation issues. Some guys at Overclock .net are doing this but I can't find the link to them right now

USAFRet

Titan
The coolest case mod is where you build your PC inside of a small freezer. This removes all the moisture from the air and allows continuos operation at sub zero temperatures with no condensation issues. Some guys at Overclock .net are doing this but I can't find the link to them right now
Actually, that doesn't work as well as it would appear to. And, its a quick way to kill a fridge.

View: https://youtu.be/B8bhGw4vUFE

I can't find the link but they actually make their own cases for this out of camping coolers I think. Then create their own subzero loops.
You can probably find a way to do anything wrong if you try hard enough. Refrigerators aren't designed to cool heat generating devices. It would probably require a room air conditioner of some kind to do this. he makes this clear towards the end but doesn't mention condensation at all. So maybe he's not the subzero guru you want to listen to.
This post was actually a play on words about "coolest" case mod.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
Well I've been following the cyberpunk 2077 cyber up your pc competition and I must say Malestrom's entry is pretty badass. Looks like a decepticon robot complete with little proby hands. My money is on that mod for the win of the whole competition.

Jul 11, 2020
Well I love Star Wars. One guy had custom built X-Wing PC cabinet or mod. Almost realistic. That guy made it from scratch so I think it's one of the best mods out there. U can also find his video on YouTube.

Ive had to mod my Dell Inspiron case through multiple upgrades to the point where ive created a sleeper PC. Since Dell hates people upgrading with non-Dell related hardware, they try to prevent it with their own unique PSU mount and specific case sizing and clearance. But, screw Dell. I cut a 1 inch square out near the PSU mount to fit my Corsair CX450M, rearranged some cables to fit a GTX 1650 Super and will soon be drilling holes into the inner front part of the case to mount a 3.5 inch hard drive. Dell would have a heart attack if they saw this.

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
A mineral oil submerged computer. Mineral oil is a liquid that looks and behaves like water but does not conduct electricity, hence why it is safe to run electronics inside it. The mineral oil also aids to control the temperature of the entire system, by soaking up and removing heat away from hot components like the CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
A mineral oil submerged computer. Mineral oil is a liquid that looks and behaves like water but does not conduct electricity, hence why it is safe to run electronics inside it. The mineral oil also aids to control the temperature of the entire system, by soaking up and removing heat away from hot components like the CPU.
Mineral oil tanks have been tried many, many times.
Aside from a hobby or advertising thing, they are FAR more work and expense than is worth it.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

tbirdou812

Honorable
Apr 8, 2015
Different strokes for different strokes and all that, so everyone will have their own personal favorite style of case mod. With all that subjectiveness in mind, what's your favorite case mod ever?

When I was a bit younger, I'd say I was enamored by the concept of a Borg Cube PC case. I know they exist and how expensive they are, so I've never owned one, but, still...very cool, in my nerdy mind.

So, what's the coolest case mod out there? Feel welcome to link pictures of specific cases that stand out for you.

Let's see what's out there!
Distro plated full back case

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The HPC industry seems to be using this principle quite a bit, though with much improved fluids that combine immersion cooling with phase-change, for added efficiency.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15166/two-phase-immersion-liquid-cooling-at-supercomputing-2019

I thought Linus's whole room water cooling loop was pretty cool. Where he had quick connects to add/remove something like 5-7 PCs. Some of the guys over on the SFF forum are doing some crazy stuff. I hung out there for awhile. I'm an engineer so I tend to lean towards the more technically challenging mods rather than the aesthetic mods.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador