Question What's the best peripheral you've ever used, and why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MMohammed

Community Manager
Sep 3, 2019
Like a lot of other people, I've had to do some shopping this year to set up my home office. After a few months, I can honestly say that my Logitech mouse (MX Master) is my favourite part of it. Until purchasing that thing, I'd been settling for some (largely easy to ignore) hand discomfort!

How about you? What's the best peripheral you've ever used and why?

sunkist4life

Prominent
Dec 27, 2018
my favorite would be the Logitech G433 Headset, not only has good audio quality, it is also wireless. the second on the list and my most recent purchase was the Ducky Channel One 2 Mini v2, my first 60% keyboard and I'm really enjoying it, I don't see myself having a full keyboard in the future.

my eyefinity setup (3x 1920x1200), and my headphones (Philips fidelio X2)

man those headphones ! to me now everything ELSE sounds like el cheapo dollarstore.
lots of times i had to check in the appartment for a noise i heard, while i realized it came from the headphones. just feels real.

about the eyefinity setup, well a picture is worth a million words. it's just awesome :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10PNJBfpiTvuJQPDxAZL6zOqY8lBWauVo/view?usp=sharing

I bought the Fidelio's and actually not sure if I like them over the SHP9500 or my other headphones. They are a bit TOO clear, they are sure accurate and separate the music well, but it feels a bit too much to listen to. I like the more of a mix the 9500s or most Sennheisers give you. After trying the Fidelio X2s, I don't think I would recommend them as an only set, if someone owns another or several other headphones it's a nice cheaper high quality addition to a collection to get a different sound, but they are too exposing to recording quality to be a fun listen. For example I listened to Soundgarden Superunknown and I can hear the bass string slap and vibrations buzz a bit which I did not hear with my other headphones, that just takes my attention away since I am listening to the strings and not the overall music/song. Also when the left/right pan is done, it's really obvious in the Fidelios and it's a bit much for me. IMHO of course, audio is very much a personal thing.

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
My fav item in last 20 years were a set of Z5500 speakers that I would still use today if they hadn't started causing win 10 to not load at all. I sadly only using those Z906 that you mentioned above.

Why were they my fav? Um, they lasted 15 years and became part of my furniture. I was very sad when I found out I had to replace them, they work fine still as just speakers. They had also been free as I won them in a competition from an old IT magazine.

I wish to have Z906, but my rooms in my flat are not structurally perfect to fully utilize them...moreover my parents are old ....and they hate noise.......I had Z906 long time back ...made lot of friends envy (those who opted for expensive speakers for less or the same effect) .....do not remember years....but sold them....and for more longer life I am using APC UPS for both router and Z623.

But most of the time I am using headset ......can't even remember the years since i purchased Z623.

My first 1440p monitor, eventhough its reliability was crap (old IPS Iiyama). Its 5-year warranty compensated for that (3 replacements in that time). Bought its successor when it finally died on me outside the warranty period. Still happy.
Close second is the Lexip 3Dm-pro mouse. Between the ceramic pads and the thumbstick, it's soooo comfortable to work with...

Last edited:

Before_Disrupt

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
Like a lot of other people, I've had to do some shopping this year to set up my home office. After a few months, I can honestly say that my Logitech mouse (MX Master) is my favourite part of it. Until purchasing that thing, I'd been settling for some (largely easy to ignore) hand discomfort!

How about you? What's the best peripheral you've ever used and why?
After completing my gaming setup, i have no regrets with my Razer huntsmen mini and best of all my Logitech GPRO wireless, its extremely versatile and low profile.

Nov 15, 2020
Back in the day, it was the Steelseries MERC Stealth keyboard. It was so awesomely ergonomic. If it would be possible to get a new one I would buy instantly
41kx5Z8CEAL._AC_SX466_.jpg

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
my First mouse on Apple //e .. My first Floppy drive after cassettes , my first analogue Joystick , my first web cam , my first Modem from USRobotics , My first Digital internet , my first ADSL modem ...

My First FALT CRT from SONY TRINITRON

MY FIRST IPS Monitor from NEC

MY First Digitizer from Wacom

My First Color screen notebook from Toshiba (after using Mono notebooks from IBM)

My first SD Card reader

My first USB Flash

the move from ball mouse to the first Optical mouse that worked only on a special base ..

my first fingerprint scanner

The best peripheral is the FIRST that was not there b4 !!!

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System. I literally will forget I'm wearing them and notice when I bend over to pick something up and they shift on my head. This comfort, along with amazing sound, make these headphones my favorite.

My Logitech M705 Marathon Wireless Mouse runs a close second. Rock solid wireless, fits my hand perfectly and the switches die before the batteries do. On my fourth now. Luckily it's pretty cheap now and Logitech is so good about replacement under warranty that I've only actually bought 2.

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Mine has got to be my Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers.

15 years old and a worn-out volume knob later, I still can't find it in me to replace it. Loud and clear sounds from the 2-way satellite speakers, not to mention their skinny profile allows me to squeeze them between my three display monitors.

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
Either the keyboard and mouse set I picked up earlier this year [Intel Wireless Series Accessories, 2000] or the Xbox Original Duke controller [2001]. Both are very comfortable to use and complete the early 2000s nature of the rest of my setup.

Nov 22, 2020
During the years I had couple of peripherals Logitech, Rog, Tuf and Razer. At the moment i m owning a mix of Tuf keyboard, Logitech mouse and rog headphones. But that Logitech is the king of the peripherals in my opinion.

Not a specific brand, but when I got my first USB drive (mid-end of 2000?) it changed my workflow drastically and wowed customers constantly.
For the time, it was a big one (512MB) and expensive (something in the $300 range, I think) but totally worth it. I had to carry the base drivers for it on a separate floppy since most Windows 98 machines didn't have the drivers but it made it so easy to move files between computers or backup a client's important files for an OS wipe and reload.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Another peripheral I would put here was my Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard, it isn't mechanical but it was hard to replace when it stopped working. I tried a razer keyboard after it but it died way too soon, so I swapped to my current Logitech G910

the detachable numbpad was awesome, 10 keyless if you chose to.

I can't live without backlighting ever since i got it.

Why did they stop making gaming keyboards and mice... why

This is also my most cherished item.

I didn't fully appreciate how good it was until I tried replacing it with all sorts of fancy modern mechanical and membrane keyboard alike, which all failed within months or were just horrendously bad.

The funny thing is, after 8 years the X6 still worked fine, it was just full of tobacco and ash and some of the keys have their lettering worn off. I ended up buying a 2nd X6 for several hundred dollars years later. Turns out it was actually a knock-off, but still works well. Both of them still work perfectly to this day, despite putting close to 50,000 hours on them collectively.

Wonderful low-profile keys with really good action and a wrist-rest that actually works well. Illuminated keys and modular design. They are also incredibly resilient, in the sense that you can literally wash it under a tap multiple times and it won't phase it at all.

I will likely never own another keyboard, unless of course they make an anniversary edition X6 :D

PS. I forgot to mention one other important feature that makes this keyboard so good- The volume control! It's just perfectly placed and so convenient. It's always puzzled me why nobody copies this design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif