Question What's the best peripheral you've ever used, and why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MMohammed

Community Manager
Sep 3, 2019
Like a lot of other people, I've had to do some shopping this year to set up my home office. After a few months, I can honestly say that my Logitech mouse (MX Master) is my favourite part of it. Until purchasing that thing, I'd been settling for some (largely easy to ignore) hand discomfort!

How about you? What's the best peripheral you've ever used and why?

pmz94

Commendable
Sep 16, 2020
pmz94.github.io
For productivity I look more for a good mouse, then a good keyboard. I have this Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC and I would say this is my first good mouse I ever had.
If y'all do a lot of typing I would recommend a mechanical keyboard, switch color is on personal preference, most popular switches are red, brown and blue.
In third place I would put the monitor, those ultra wide monitors are the best for productivity.

Reactions: SteelMage

SteelMage

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I actually have two favorites of all time. The first was my Microsoft Sidewinder Forced Feed back joy stick. Being able to actually feel my mech getting pummeled in Mech Warrior or getting hit by a shotgun blast added so much more realism to games that you just can't get these days. My second favorite is my Logitech MX Master mouse. I am on the current MX Master 2s right now but each of the two earlier version of the MX lasted me an easy 10 years of daily use each.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I have a Steelseries Arctis 5. Bought it right before the prices over here doubled, it's hitting three years now. Has been used for 400+hours, fell hard at least 5 times. Apart from a little contact problem at the volume dial (one earphone stops working if the dial is cranked to the full, but working otherwise) it has been going strong. The ski band suspensions are one of the most comfortable stuff I use, and my head gets to hurt a lot if I was to use something that didn't have a such part. Including a 1.6M RGB that is way too customizable.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
My best peripheral wasn't even what I'd opted for...
When I purchased my current computer from a small local computer builder 20 years ago I didn't quite define what monitor I wanted. The only requirement I gave was 17".
I was expecting something around $200, but got a Sony Trinitron costing almost twice as much! It was also heavy, at somewhere above 20kg. The image quality was great though, and when I bought a replacement 19" monitor several years later that new monitor was worse from the beginning. That made me realise the virtue of having a good monitor...

Logitech Marble mouse/Mouseman Marble.
I have been using the same trackball for over 20 years, games with the best of them, comfy AF and the most accurate input device ever made. every time I loan out one of my spares, I cannot be without one, they buy one for themselves. I cannot recommend this more to anyone.

iu

as a close second I would call out the Klipsch Pro Media 4.1 THX surround speaker system. I am always touching the trackball so it get the win.
Would one of those be good for playing call of duty and esports titles like league of legends? And also racing games?

Nov 27, 2020
The Steelseries Siberia, and later Arctis Pro wireless headphones. Super comfortable, great battery life, and the wireless is really strong, I can go into my bedroom or the bathroom and they still work fine.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Would one of those be good for playing call of duty and esports titles like league of legends? And also racing games?

I do not play those titles but I will tell you what I do play.
PUBG, Ring of Elysium, Escape from Tarkov, Quakes - all of em, dooms- all of em, rocket league, counter strike, world of tanks, borderlands, killing floor 1 and 2 etc.
FPS games, TPS games. does rocket league count as a racer game?

my favorite thing about this mouse is I can click like a mad man and the cursor will not move at all, snipers delight. its all fingertips, no mousepad needed.

I do not play those titles but I will tell you what I do play.
PUBG, Ring of Elysium, Escape from Tarkov, Quakes - all of em, dooms- all of em, rocket league, counter strike, world of tanks, borderlands, killing floor 1 and 2 etc.
FPS games, TPS games. does rocket league count as a racer game?

my favorite thing about this mouse is I can click like a mad man and the cursor will not move at all, snipers delight. its all fingertips, no mousepad needed.
Wow sounds awesome.

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
Like a lot of other people, I've had to do some shopping this year to set up my home office. After a few months, I can honestly say that my Logitech mouse (MX Master) is my favourite part of it. Until purchasing that thing, I'd been settling for some (largely easy to ignore) hand discomfort!

my wireless Logitech g603 mouse and my razer kraken 7.1 v2 headsets ( although I am currently using the void pros but the razer ones were just great, the cord was just unbearable )

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
My IPS monitor, has helped me edit photos true to their colours. Though I want a second monitor purely for the sake of multitasking.

I know I can already multi task, but I feel I need it for something more important

Frindis

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
My fav item in last 20 years were a set of Z5500 speakers that I would still use today if they hadn't started causing win 10 to not load at all.

That was my favorite speaker system before I had to upgrade because of moving. My youngest nephew is using it today and still works like a charm. The bass and surround sound is soooo good. I remember having a big grin on my face when I first played Need for Speed Underground 2 and cranked up the bass while listening to Ram Jam Betty and driving the Chevrolet Camaro. The whole room shook!

Now I would have to say my favorite peripheral is my Sound BlasterX Katana. Awesome lighting and very good sound coming from the soundbar, even if it can't really compete much with the Z5500 when it comes to the sound.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
for me, Trust has always worked when it comes to the mouse. they are the most comfortable for my hand and i never had an issue with them... those in the 30-ish euro range usually last me a good 4-5 years. a Sharkoon that i got for about 40 euros died a month after its 18 month warranty. i never tried the "high end" mice that cost 60+ euros because i consider the price not worth it. the thing i tried once and i will never buy again though, is a logitech keyboard. i hate the key layout. i had it for nearly 2 years and i never managed to type something without constantly pressing the wrong key when it came to symbols or when i set a non english input language

Encore_

Reputable
May 19, 2017
www.steamcommunity.com

Has to be my Logitech G Pro wireless. Best wireless experience I've ever had, and unlike the g700s, no delay, no weird input lag, and much lighter. It was honestly one of the best purchases I've ever made.

To this day I'd say one , if not the most favorite of mine is some old 19'' CRT I took used off a friend.
Yes it's a gigantic, heavy beast, but I could be convinced to run 2048x1536 when going down to 60 Hz or 1600x1200 on 85 Hz, going to 1080p60 afterwards (around 2011) was actually a step down.
Still got that thing sitting in the basement, got nothing to plug it in to nowadays, but it's still there.

Reactions: Frindis

Endre

Reputable

My best peripheral is an external USB audio interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen).
It’s well built, delivers great sound quality and it has a good price.

Dec 14, 2020
It’s got to be definitely the Logitech G13. It transformed they way I could play games like World of Warcraft and RIFT. Such a shame it’s discontinued... sigh

Jul 14, 2020
This might sound lame, but definitely my Razer stormtrooper long boy mouse pad. It was the first time I've ever used a huge mouse pad and it's been awesome. Having the mouse pad also themed really tied it together for my setup.

Dec 15, 2020

I will like to say that the best peripheral that, I have ever used is the Morphy Richard mixer grinder.

Dec 16, 2020
Without doubt the MX Master keyboard and MX 3s mouse.

I have always used cheap keyboards and mice on my workstation and they got me by well. But once spent the extra on these earlier in the year i was like wow why did i not do this earlier.

The one gripe i had with the MX 3s was that i needed to buy a USB extender as the mouse and receiver where struggling to maintain a good connection.

I felt like smashing it many times but someone recommended the extender and now i love it.

Nov 30, 2020

Wireless headphones... I constantly spin in circles in my chair (I might have ADHD, still need to get tested), and sometimes my wire gets caught in the chair hand rest. Sometimes it even pulls out the wire from the computer which can damage the cord. Anyways, with these wireless headphones I don't even have to take off my headset when I am called out of my room by my parents. They are amazing and I would recommend the pair that I have to anyone, it is a cheap wireless gaming headset that works amazingly: Hyperx Cloud Stinger Wireless ($65 on Amazon.com)