Question What's the best peripheral you've ever used, and why?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MMohammed

Community Manager
Sep 3, 2019
Like a lot of other people, I've had to do some shopping this year to set up my home office. After a few months, I can honestly say that my Logitech mouse (MX Master) is my favourite part of it. Until purchasing that thing, I'd been settling for some (largely easy to ignore) hand discomfort!

How about you? What's the best peripheral you've ever used and why?

vjekoslav

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Logitech MX518. My god... That boi and I have gone through a lot of adventures. The shape was like molded for my hand, but he passed away. :( After him, I got the G400s, it's still in working condition.

But, nostalgia was too real, so I got myself not long ago MX518, current one with HERO sensor. Old memories of MX518 came back to life! Ayyyy

joshjaks

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
Gotta put my plug into the RBT Rebel mouse that I've been using a couple/few years now. It's a weird design, but I was getting some bad hand pain and competitive gaming was getting harder being in my 30s now. The click design is really comfortable and basically eliminates tension in my hand. Been happy with it for sure. Hope the pandemic stuff doesn't kill the company. RBT website

ej13

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
KEF LSX speakers. Not for the average pc user but if you are into music these along with Amazon HD or Tidal music services provide a great escape from 2020.

Best of the season and let's have a better 2021.

Reactions: Endre
HyperX Cloud Alpha.

I was so unsure about this headset, I had an M50x and the hinge broke and it was not worth replacing as the leather on the headband was starting to tear off anyway. It was 3.5 years old

I game, listen to songs and watch stuff mostly and I was completely thrown off by how good these sounds even though they're gaming headphones. Even songs sounded better on this than the M50x which are supposed to be studio headphones. The microphone is also really good for the price. I got this for $115. The M50x is currently $155 where I live, I had bought that for $130 in 2017. I wasn't sure about this headset for gaming because no surround sound but I learnt that that's just software gimmick anyway lol. Never been more satisfied with such a sketchy purchase

IcewindZG

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2013
My X-Bows ergo keyboard. I always hated the qwerty layout, so I have an ortholinear layout in Colemak. I type faster and more accurately than I ever did before. Best part is no RSI pain.
Behind that, my Razer Orbweaver and all the other similar keypads that I lent out and had to replace through the years.
Does a USB Saitek receiver adapter count? It's saved me uncountable money in repairing drones by flying in sims.

Jan 1, 2021
I would say just like someone else said, a Corsair Void Pro RGB. Awesome feeling, never got uncomfortable, extremely good mic, unique and solid design, and one of the best wireless headsets I think you can get, let alone the fact they are only around ~$100.

Jan 2, 2021
Like a lot of other people, I've had to do some shopping this year to set up my home office. After a few months, I can honestly say that my Logitech mouse (MX Master) is my favourite part of it. Until purchasing that thing, I'd been settling for some (largely easy to ignore) hand discomfort!

Torn between:

1. Replacing my own Logitech MX Master (2S) with a Razer Basilisk V2. Side buttons my thumb can reach! Extra buttons besides! Programmability on a per app basis! My productivity has skyrocketed and I'm not having to switch to a different mouse to play games like I did with the 150g MX Master. I miss infinite scroll though and sometimes wonder if I should've gone for the Logitech G502 Lightspeed, but it's heavier and too expensive.

2. My Jabra 75E headset. I can't stand the heat of on/over ear headphones and wanted one piece of kit for taking calls outside walking down busy streets, sat at my desk at work (those were the days...) and for listening to music. The three-microphone-noise-cancellation gig isn't quite as good as they advertise but it's better than alternatives, and they look good and sound good. I've taken a lot of work meetings this year while wandering my house, and listened to a lot of songs while doing housework.

Jan 2, 2021
I would say a decent microphone is one of the best peripherals you can get, don't cheap out on one either, I say if you want a headset with a microphone go hyperx or modmic and put it on some cheap headphones, but if you have some extra money laying around a really good place to start off at is the samsung Q2U for $60 it almost matches the sound quality of a Shure SM7B, its light and handheld, works with every microphone stand (that I seen so far from even the off branded stuff) and its still got the dynamic pattern as the Shure SM7B which will eliminate almost all background noise if you have a noisy room. The reason I am saying to get a good microphone is because whether your on a zoom call or just playing video games and on discord with friends, a lot of people will find it easier to listen to you and find you a lot less annoying if you have a decent microphone, doesn't have to be top of the line 1,000 dollar microphone, there is a lot of good microphones for around 60 dollars such as the samsung Q2U that I am talking about and I am also the owner of one.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
My razer Deathadder Elite is perfect. It fits in my hand just right, glides smooth across the mousepad and is incredibly reliable. I actually started playing games on a half-broken used deathadder and the experience was still incredible.

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
For me, it would have to be my Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA 2.5" adapter. You can backup files quickly, create a NAS drive on your network in seconds if you have a USB port on your router, recover files from a damaged OS install, create installation media on it to make multiple windows installs very fast, and wipe sensitive information off drives to redeploy them. The best part is they are cheap as heck! Every power-user should have one, it is an absolute MUST.

You can find one of these bad boys here.

Tcaddy

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
For me, no contest. It's my propelling pencil. It never lets me down.

My experiences with this are all happy ones, unlike my experiences with the computer software that I use in a professional capacity :(

And I'm on my backup computer at the moment. I had to completely reinstall Windows 10 on this over the holidays. Meanwhile, my main computer is back at the IT depot for, guess what: a complete reinstall of Windows 10.

Its OK though because I don't need to sleep on a night nor do I need to actually do any productive work to earn an income. I live in a magical world where people need no sleep and they survive on jelly beans from magical jelly bean trees that grow freely in their gardens.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
My fav item in last 20 years were a set of Z5500 speakers that I would still use today if they hadn't started causing win 10 to not load at all. I sadly only using those Z906 that you mentioned above.

Why were they my fav? Um, they lasted 15 years and became part of my furniture. I was very sad when I found out I had to replace them, they work fine still as just speakers. They had also been free as I won them in a competition from an old IT magazine.

Im still using my set of Z5500s... What was it doing to your computer to make Windows 10 not boot? Im genuinely curious.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It was causing the desktop to not load. I would get taskbar but a blank desktop. Its likely the speakers weren't responding and causing windows to stall until it likely time out and then load desktop, I don't know as I never waited. Most times a restart would work fine. It is why it took me so long to figure out cause. I don't think it happened every time. Later on the speakers wouldn't even work via digital or analog and the rear speakers just stopped working completely.

Jan 19, 2021
My Korg NanoKontrol 2, lets me control up to 8 audio sources, (16 if you count knobs and sliders together). Clean look and really helps with streaming and even just everyday use. Costs WAY less than a GOXLR and gives you twice the amount of sliders

Jan 19, 2021

Apple Magic Track Pad ll, Its clunky on windows without a custom profile or Magic Utilities installed but wow its lovely and very tactile.

ciddy

Prominent
Dec 6, 2020
My Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum keyboard. I bought it recently (about 2 months ago) and absolutely love it. My old keyboard finally died (one too many beer spills, RIP), so I finally decided to start shopping mechanical ones. I ended up stuck between the G910 Orion Spectrum and a couple of Corsair models (I'm a fan of Corsair stuff too). In the end, the Logitech won out because I've always used Logitech keyboards/mice and been happy with them. I used to think mechanical keyboards were overhyped, but I've changed that opinion since I bought this. I'm a casual gamer and have also been doing a lot of work from home (so a lot of typing, e-mails, documents, etc) over the last year, and it has worked very well for both of those needs.

Other favorites:

- Sennheiser HD598 headphones. I bought mine about 4 years ago. They were expensive compared to the gaming headsets I'd bought before, but they were worth every penny. The only problem I've had is that the headband/foam padding on the top peeled off after a couple years of use, but I was able to fix that pretty easily with a repair kit that I found on Amazon for ~20 bucks. I was a bit turned off by the "ivory/brown" color scheme at first and thought they looked kinda ugly, but that has grown on me over the years. They're comfortable, and the sound quality is great. I also like how the cord is detachable (so if something happens to the cord, I can just replace it without having to bust out a soldering iron).

- Using a Modmic for voice chat purposes. Nothing really special about it, but it just sticks to my headphones and does its job. Nobody has complained about my mic on Discord or other voice chats, so I guess that's a win.

- Logitech G5 mouse that I've been using for over a decade. I'm sure it'll eventually break/die, and when it finally does, I'll probably replace it with a newer Logitech model that's compatible with the lighting software my keyboard uses, just so things match.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021
I can't decide between my Razer Viper and a vintage Fisher XP-10 (technically not a pc peripheral but I use it as one) I found in the recycling. The mouse is amazing, with plenty of accuracy and amazing-feeling buttons, and the Fisher is just cool because it's so massive (like an oversize bedside table).

ok, logitech G600 MMO mouse, bought it in 2009 for playing an mmo and all, the thing is sturdy as hell, and after severe punishment the wheel click became unstable, no biggie, logitech support send me a brand goddamn new one after 2 years of usage, they didnt asked for the old one... such that i used until 2017 and i sold the goddamn thing because i wanted to go full corsair and bought a scimitar.

the G600, i sold to my sister and she is still using it until today no problems! the goddamn thing refuses to die. Meanwhile my razer nagas even a molten version had double click issue after some time... glad i sold them for G600s

IBM Model M keyboard lasted 20+ years, about 10 of which were in the DOS days while I was pounding a keyboard all day, every day. It had the right feel and the right sound. It was huge compared to today but I didn't care.