What's the best replacement case fans for an overheating Sharkoon TG5?

anderslash

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Hello!

I have a Sharkoon TG5 case and I'm getting very high temperatures inside it, overheating my GPU. It's an EVGA RTX 2080 XC, getting 85 degrees while gaming. I noticed that the air flow is not very good in this case. I think the solution is to replace my intake fans and I'm reading that Corsair is a nice choice, but I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if it's better to get 3x ML120 Pro or 2x ML140 Pro fans, so I can decrease my case inner temps. And will it really solve my problem?

Thanks!

anderslash

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Thank you for your reply! I just did as you said and with the sidepanel removed the temps lowered around 5-7 degrees in average, my GPU is running around 77 degrees (still hot). This confirms that I have an airflow problem. Now I need to focus in solving this problem, I'm also considering to change the entire case for a new one. Is this too drastic? Or good intake fans could help me with lowering my temps?

anderslash

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Yes, I would be happy with 77C, but this is the temps with the sidepanel off. With the sidepanel in place, I get 85C.

The CPU is around 60-70C while gaming. I don't remember the temps for the motherboard, I think is around 45C but I have to be sure. What's really bothering me is the temps for the GPU. The tempered glass sidepanel gets really hot while gaming and the temps keeps increasing slowly until it hits 85C.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
dang, if its making the glass hot probably is an air flow issue.. is the gpu overclocked or something? how many fans are you currently running? If you put new fans in maybe clean any dust thats clogging where your intakes coming from? I'm about to try these fans:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA68V3S01908

They have 4 pin connectors so speed should be controllable, they are supposed to be nice and quiet, and they are well made at a good price. Just picked 3 of them up today

anderslash

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Thank you for your reply! The GPU is not overclocked, running everything stock and default fan curves.

I have 6 fans in my case:
3x default Sharkoon RGB 120mm at the front (intake)
1x default Sharkoon RGB 120mm at the back (exhaust)
1x Noctua NF-F12-PWM at the top front (intake)
1x Noctua NF-S12A-PWM at the top back (exhaust)

There's no dust, it was built 1 month ago.

Thank you for your recommendation! Unfortunately, I can't find be quiet! fans where I live. In my country we have access only to other brands like CoolerMaster, Corsair and smaller local ones. Also, since my case already have RGB fans, I would like to - if I really need to - replace them with RGB ones.

Yesterday I was playing with fan curves. selected the Aggressive profile in EVGA Precision X1 and it lowered my GPU temps to around 77C, but it added too much noise. My tempered glass sidepanel still gets very hot.

I think I'll check my GPU thermal paste, I really still don't know if it's a GPU overheating problem or an air flow issue. Maybe both?