Question Whats the best thermal paste ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Keep in mind if you're doing direct-die applications, you need something that's relatively viscous. Otherwise the thermal paste will just creep out over time.

Out of MX-4 and Kryonaut, which one should I use for under the IHS ? and which one should I use for over the IHS ?

Does it matter how I apply the thermal paste ? I have heard that I should apply Kryonaut differently..Is this true ?

I use Kryonaut (mainly due to good reviews) and I apply it normally and never have had an issue.
I have 3 machines running with Kryonaut now.
The oldest machine...the paste was applied about 6 years ago.....and it still runs plenty cool. I haven't noticed any temp increase.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aww no... I was just watching, until Kryonaut was brought in.
It has low viscosity, and burns out faster under high sustained thermals. Also, Thermal Grizzly has a problem with fakes out there, so careful where you purchase it from, if you want to get it anyway.

I have delidded(7820X) before: LM is really the only option. Paste doesn't work for very long. NT-H2, one of the more viscous pastes out there, fails after a couple days or so.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do. Not. Use. Paste. Under. IHS.
Or else you will be reapplying paste several times a month. Liquid metal under the IHS, or don't do it at all, please.

The non-commercial paste that is used under the IHS is formulated for longevity, and as you can probably see, performance is 'underwhelming', for lack of a better word.

You are saying Intel engineers are dumb ? because intel uses paste on their CPU die....
They use a TIM that's designed for the requirements at hand. It's not even a "grease" when cold, it's more like clay:

Again, start with replacing the TIM on the IHS and see if that's good enough. If you haven't delidded before, I'd advise against doing it with a PS3 as your first go around.