What's the best way to do printing wireless?

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Hello,

I am about to buy my first laptop (think I'm set on the Chembook 2056-S from discountlaptops.com) and wish to do printing wirelessly. At first I was considering a portable printer using infrared, but there were a few concerns. First, I didn't know how fast this would be. Second, my understanding of infrared is that the devices would have to be pointed at one another to function. Third, no portable I know of (or probably care to spend the money on) can do copy and scan. I then went on to look into wireless print servers. I found that I could get a Lexmark X2250 all-in-one print/copy/scan and a Linksys Wireless-G Printserver (WPS54GU2) for less than a portable printer. My understanding is that I will be able to use the two together to create an independent wireless printing/scanning/copying device for my laptop. I know it won't really be portable, but that's not what I need. My only concern, however, was how well copy/scan would work with this setup. The printer says it has independent copying, so I think that function will be ok, but I don't see how the printserver could facilitate scanning. Am I correct in assuming I would need to plug directly into the printer for the scanning function to work, but print and copy would work wirelessly as I expect? Also, any other suggestions for what I'm looking to do would be appreciated.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Print wirelessly yes, everything else no. And how can you scan with not being fizicly at the scanner anyway? So, yeah, you will have to be USB connected to the printer to scan into computer.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

mattthenewb

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Ok, so do I have to disable bidirectionality somehow for the printer to work? I read somewhere that a machine with bidirectionality, such as an All-In-One, won't work at all on a share server because it has no constant PC communication.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Depends on the scanner actually. If the software would allow you to remote into a GUI, AND allow the scanner to print to an IP then it's possible. My guess is on a $99 all in one that functionality isn't available.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer