What's the best way to sell old components?

scharhar

Senior Editor
Editor
Jun 20, 2018
What's the best way to resell old/used components - graphics cards, hard drives, motherboards, CPUs etc.?

Are there any sites you recommend? Any sites you don't recommend?
Are sites like Craigslist, eBay, and Amazon useful or a waste of time?
How old is too old?
Which components make for the easiest sales?

Any tips, suggestions, recommendations, warnings or experiences greatly appreciated!

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on 'what', and 'how old'.
Something like a whole PC or a case is better done via craigslist and local pickup. Shipping would kill it otherwise.
Smaller stuff...look on ebay to see what other identical items have actually sold for.

^^^ and when you look around on ebay, look for SOLD items, not what someone is asking. Sometimes people will post some outrageous price for something and someone will come on here saying I saw a 5450 AMD GPU on Ebay for $250, why can't I sell mine for that. Just because someone listed it for that, it doesn't mean that's what it will sell for or that it will ever sell in a 1000 years.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I often recommend reddit.com/r/hardwareswap particularly for this in the US. They've practically created their own economy. Tom's has a classifieds section.

I honestly didn't make a whole lot on sales myself, but I was more interested in getting somewhat relevant hardware to people that could use it, vs sitting on my shelves.

If you live in a big market, Craigslist is a good option. No fees to sell the components and no shipping. Just make sure you take cash in hand. If you are in a smaller market, then Craigslist may not be a great option and you may want to look at ebay or other sites. Just take shipping into account. A large case will cost a lot to ship.