Question What's the best way to switch monitors for production and gaming daily?

dcrofty

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
Hi,

I'd like to switch between my 3 production monitors and the 1 gaming monitor I leave to the side during work.
What's the easiest way to switch when I want to game? I usually just plop the gaming monitor in front of the production ones. But can't image fussing around with the back of the tower every time I want to switch. Is there an easier solution to this?

Cheers,

Dave

dcrofty

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
What model of monitors do you have?

Otherwise my generic answer would be to get a video interface switch.
I have 3 Dell U2415. Left is connected to the centre in a daisy chain. The right is independent.
The gaming monitor is ASUS VG278QR
I have ordered a 3080 TUF which may come in a couple of years. :D

hotaru.hino

Respectable
If your end goal is to simply not need to swap cables in the back of the computer, I suggest getting a DisplayPort switcher like https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Bi-Direction-Splitter-Converter-displays/dp/B076ZKZLXT (it's advertised as bi-directional, so it should work with hooking up one output to two monitors).

If you're asking for a setup where you don't have physically swap the monitors around, then I suggest either getting a monitor arm or having a separate setup elsewhere.

Reactions: dcrofty

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS