[SOLVED] Whats the best WiFi Routers

dadalka

Commendable
Nov 30, 2021
I have a Netgear R7000 Router. I want to upgrade. I just purchased a Netgear rax120-100nas and it would reboot multi able times a day so I sent it back Every review on all the routers people are having the same problem. Any recommendations on what to buy. My top price is around $400.00.

Solution
Your R7000 router can handle 500mbps just fine as long as you're not using a 3rd party firmware. The factory firmware uses hardware accelerated NAT and can handle 600+mbps WAN speed. But third party firmwares don't have hardware acceleration and use software NAT which limits the R7000 to about 300ish mbps.

As bill said, I would stick it out a little longer with the R7000 and upgrade to Wifi 6E which will actually give you those 500+mbps speeds via wifi.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Netgear R7000 Router. I want to upgrade. I just purchased a Netgear rax120-100nas and it would reboot multi able times a day so I sent it back Every review on all the routers people are having the same problem. Any recommendations on what to buy. My top price is around $400.00.
Don't buy a high $$$$ router right now. Wait for WIFI6E to get more mature.

It is strange they have not patched the problem if multiple people have it.

So I had this mostly typed when kanewolf recommended the same thing.

Your current router likely is already faster than your end devices. Many wifi6 device also do not support 160mhz channels, especially cell phones. This means wifi6 is not going to be significantly faster than most current 802.11ac devices. Your neighbors also would have 2 times the bandwidth to interfere with.

Wifi6e looks impressive with all the new bandwidth on the 6ghz band. It should let multiple people run 160mhz channels and not overlap.

Right now wifi6e still gets a premium price and only a very tiny number of mobile devices support it. In 6 months the price should come down....well if they can get chips. If you REALLY want to buy a new router today I would buy one of the wifi6e devices but I suspect your current router will be fine

If you have devices that can run 160mhz channels and you don't have weather radar near you can get about 700-800 on wifi6 fairly close to the router. The results for most people is wifi6 is not significantly faster than wifi5 because of the 80/160mhz issue.

Your R7000 router can handle 500mbps just fine as long as you're not using a 3rd party firmware. The factory firmware uses hardware accelerated NAT and can handle 600+mbps WAN speed. But third party firmwares don't have hardware acceleration and use software NAT which limits the R7000 to about 300ish mbps.

As bill said, I would stick it out a little longer with the R7000 and upgrade to Wifi 6E which will actually give you those 500+mbps speeds via wifi.

Solution
There are 2 major problems with any review even many so called professional ones.

First the router is only 1/2 the wifi connection the other half is the end device. There can be a great deal of variation between test results in all the combination and it is not likely someone tests with exactly the mix of devices you have.

Next the test environment (ie the house) has a massive impact on the performance, most times more than any difference between routers. A house made with poured concrete walls is going to block signal much more than a house that has a more open floor plan.
There is also no way to control random interference from neighbors. This is where even professional reviews are flawed because most are just guy testing in his house rather than in a controlled lab setup.

Pretty much have to buy routers almost blind. All you can really do is buy from a well known company that provides good support and use reviews etc to watch out for products you see people complaining about hardware failures more that performance

dadalka

Commendable
Nov 30, 2021
The only thing I was looking for since the new router that I bought was rebooting on it's own 5+ times a day. In the reviews I was looking to see if others were reporting the same problem. I found it true thru all the makes .

The only thing I was looking for since the new router that I bought was rebooting on it's own 5+ times a day. In the reviews I was looking to see if others were reporting the same problem. I found it true thru all the makes .

If you're looking for a stable router, then buy a tried and true standalone router that's been around for a few years. One that's known to be stable. Then buy access points for wifi, that's what I did, except I built my own x86 router and use Ubiquiti access points.

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Can't tell you what's best.
Cann tell you what my problems were and what I did.
Huge house ancient lots of stone in the walls lots of iron in said stone
the cheesy repeaters I tried were worthless.
I got an ASUS RT-C88U AC3100 dual band router for about $400 and that solved my issues.