What's the best wireless network adaptor for PC gaming?

2JZRB26

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
So I'm currently saving up to build my first custom PC and I do plan on doing a lot of gaming on it. But I can't seem to find a good wireless network adaptor and have came to the forums for help. I would love to use a wired connection but unfortunately my router is too far away (on the opposite end of my house basically) so a wired connection wont work. Plus my router is 2 walls in front of where I'll be doing everything so I'ma need a good adaptor that's also good at getting a signal through walls. Thanks! :D

2JZRB26

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

[b]I have a Linksys E2500 N600 Dual-Band router[/b]. I'm not too sure if that's good or as I know nothing about routers but here are some specs:

Up to N300 + N300 Mbps
Dual-Band 2.4 + 5 GHZ

And it supports these network protocols:
802.3u
802.3ab
802.11b
802.11a
802.11g
802.11n

2JZRB26

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Thanks man! :)

Sanic

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
As a pro-gamer myself rather than spend 30$ on a wireless card and a good router (and possibly a wifi booster too keep the signal strength strong) I would just buy a really long Cat6 ethernet cable and either run it under carpet or tape it along the walls. I would always want a wired over wireless because of speed and also consistency of connection. Plus if someone runs the microwave or walks by with a cell phone you could get hit with lag spikes.

I agree . Sometimes the best way is drill a hole through the floor and run the cable under the house

Itsbranden97

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

I see your point, but real world use of wired/wireless can't be that noticeable, can it? I mean I game solely on wireless since the house I'm renting doesn't allow me to drill through the floors, and I've never actually had any issues with gaming on my PC because of the wireless, my router is half broken so the speeds aren't as good as they should be though.

Sanic

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I'm not saying wireless doesn't work, but i am saying you will get more lag spikes and latency over a wired so your putting yourself at a disadvantage if you are playing competitive games.

2JZRB26

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

This is a lot more in-depth than I thought. I guess now I just need to figure out some form or fashion to get a wired connection and I might be able to do a wired connection although it'll be a lot of work. This is really unfortunate that I have to be so far away from my router. :l

If the carpet is a few years old it will be nailed at the edges of the room. Usually you can lift a corner, drill a hole and pass a cable through the floorboards.

If you ever need move you remove the cable and press the carpet down.

Some carpets are glued now and that doesn't work so easily

2JZRB26

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

This I might be able to do because the carpet in my house is over 15 years old although I would have to get the cable under some hardwood flooring.