[SOLVED] What's the bottleneck for web browsers?

Jun 15, 2020
I'm planning a build, with a specific purpose in mind: Having multiple web browser windows (not tabs) open, constantly refreshing every 5 to 10 seconds. Assume 40+ windows, using a chromium-based browser. Also assume my network is not a bottleneck.

Is it CPU or RAM that would cause the above scenario to slow down or degrade over time (hours). Or perhaps something else I'm not thinking of?

Solution
mostly ram. as each window will use a good bit.

look now at what one chrome window uses and do some quick math. (i don't use chrome so can't help there)

you'll want lots and lots of ram to be sure each window has what it needs. the cpu will be able to handle it since it takes little horsepower to actually run the browser. but of course multiple cores to keep it all happy won't hurt either. but i would definitely focus on a lot of ram for such a use.

i personally use a lot of vm's and run lots of stuff at once and i went with 32 gb of ram. i often see it at 75% or more usage though this is usually only a browser window or 2 and maybe 10 tabs between them. my heavy use is many programs running at once and multiple vm's

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
mostly ram. as each window will use a good bit.

look now at what one chrome window uses and do some quick math. (i don't use chrome so can't help there)

you'll want lots and lots of ram to be sure each window has what it needs. the cpu will be able to handle it since it takes little horsepower to actually run the browser. but of course multiple cores to keep it all happy won't hurt either. but i would definitely focus on a lot of ram for such a use.

i personally use a lot of vm's and run lots of stuff at once and i went with 32 gb of ram. i often see it at 75% or more usage though this is usually only a browser window or 2 and maybe 10 tabs between them. my heavy use is many programs running at once and multiple vm's

Solution