Question What's the cap name for Z10PE-D16 motherboard Bios update?

Sep 21, 2024
I wasn't given a renamer tool file when I downloaded the BIOS update for Z10PE-D16 motherboard?

I am stuck right now because I can't find the direct name anywhere.

Sep 21, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...10PE-D16_Series_UM_V4_WEB.pdf?model=Z10PE-D16
page 4-2 ~4-5.

You should use the BIOS's filename. For example if you're using BIOS version 3801, then the filename is Z10PE-D16-ASUS-3801 or so that's what I see after downloading the BIOS file onto my drive.
Thank you for welcoming me in, and attempting to help.

So yes, the BIOS version is 3801, but when I attempt to flash it says wrong file name when I use the name that's reflected after downloading. I've been researching in a lot of places and the CAP name is usually something way different that what they give you from ASUS.

The problem is a renamer tool can help give you the correct name, but ASUS did not provide one in this folder which is frustrating because unless someone knows the name, I'm stuck without that Renamer tool. I haven't seen where I can download one anywhere either.

Sep 21, 2024
I recommend this. When you unzip the downloaded file, put only the two resulting files on the USB drive, in the root directory. No folders or any other files on the USB drive.

What method are you using to update your BIOS (section 4.1)?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...10PE-D16_Series_UM_V4_WEB.pdf?model=Z10PE-D16
Got an update for you as I did further research, I found out that I should get one of the upgraded BIOS releases that supported my purposes of updating the BIOS which was to support my new NVME SSD drive. My BIOS was released in February 2015 and I got one that was updated in August 2015 to support NVME. I'll probably need to find an even newer one, but I wanted to get the earliest release for it.

The directions for that one told me the exact name for the CAP file and it actually worked as I got it flashed.

I can't speak for the latest release which is the one that I tried, but there's some problems with that file, or there's something else that I have to do. If you want to look further into that one and the other releases, you can and let me know what you find out.

For now, things are fine for now, but I ultimately need to see if I can boot Windows off of that NVME, now that the BIOS has been updated. Let me know if you have any expertise in this area as well.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Got an update for you as I did further research, I found out that I should get one of the upgraded BIOS releases that supported my purposes of updating the BIOS which was to support my new NVME SSD drive. My BIOS was released in February 2015 and I got one that was updated in August 2015 to support NVME. I'll probably need to find an even newer one, but I wanted to get the earliest release for it.

The directions for that one told me the exact name for the CAP file and it actually worked as I got it flashed.

I can't speak for the latest release which is the one that I tried, but there's some problems with that file, or there's something else that I have to do. If you want to look further into that one and the other releases, you can and let me know what you find out.

For now, things are fine for now, but I ultimately need to see if I can boot Windows off of that NVME, now that the BIOS has been updated. Let me know if you have any expertise in this area as well.
Newer releases will contain that functionality.

You never mentioned with method you tried using.