[SOLVED] What's the cheapest mobo to squeeze everything out of a 9900k?

Solution
A 9900K puts a high demand on voltage regulation, particularly when overclocked.
I think one should spend a bit more if necessary for such a motherboard if a 9900K is going to be used.
I have no recommendation on what that might be.
You should also plan on using the new intel performance maximizer app.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/performance-maximizer.html
It detects all of your hardware capabilities in order to get the highest possible safe overclock.

9900K does not come with a stock clock.
What is your case?
If you have 160mm available for a good air cooler, the noctua NH-D15s will fit, about $85.
It uses twin tower radiators which is perhaps the equivalent of a 240/280 class aio.
Air...
Do you really want to spend that much money on a cpu, to then cheap out on a board?

For the 9900k you really need a high end board with very good vrm to handle it. Especially when overclocked. I'd recommend not getting a "cheap" board, and saving some coin until you can afford a good one.

I'd recommend no less than a noctua nhd15. Most won't recommend air for such a beastly cpu, and a good 280 or 360mm aio would be best. Liquid cooling is nothing to fear, as with aio coolers, failure rate is extremely low. Issue is you only hear the bad, rarely the good, so if you look the results will show failures. I can't remember who, but there was a recent post on here that broke down failure rates with some great info. Of course you'll have more chance of issues with custom loop cooling, but most of the time it's user error. Aio offer great performance with little downside.

There is very little you can mess up, and install is usually straight forward. Follow the install instructions and you'll be fine! For some reference I ran a corsair h100i for a little over three years, zero issue at all. And would probably still be using it, if I hadn't went fully custom loop. They offer a great warranty, and cover other components in the very rare case of leaks. So you're well protected, just register the cooler If you get it.

With that said I'd recommend the nhd15 or a good aio.

Last edited:
A 9900K puts a high demand on voltage regulation, particularly when overclocked.
I think one should spend a bit more if necessary for such a motherboard if a 9900K is going to be used.
I have no recommendation on what that might be.
You should also plan on using the new intel performance maximizer app.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/performance-maximizer.html
It detects all of your hardware capabilities in order to get the highest possible safe overclock.

9900K does not come with a stock clock.
What is your case?
If you have 160mm available for a good air cooler, the noctua NH-D15s will fit, about $85.
It uses twin tower radiators which is perhaps the equivalent of a 240/280 class aio.
Air is quieter, more reliable, cheaper, needs no maintenance, and... will not leak.

Solution

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If you haven't purchased the CPU yet I'd seriously consider the Ryzen 7 3700X, it's cheaper, and performs the same or better. Also, the Ryzen 9 3900X has 12 cores for the same price. You also save money by having a CPU cooler included in the box, as well as them running much cooler.