[SOLVED] What's the cheapest processor+motherboard combo that would not bottleneck the GTX 1660 ti?

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
I'm trying to build a budget computer centered around a good mid-range GPU and there's surprisingly no threads I can find about this. Would the Ryzen 3 1200 or 1300x be fine or do I need to get a Ryzen 5 no matter what? also open for any intel suggestions obvviously they're just more expensive.

EDIT TL;DR: So basically for those who are too lazy to read the entire thread; it looks like waiting for the Ryzen 3 3300/3300x is the most efficient solution from what I can understand. Current Ryzen 3s are out of the question because they're quad core and these will suffer soon (the new Ryzen 3 won't be). Ryzen 5 1600x or 2600 seem to be the most value for your money if you're not willing to wait however.

Last edited:
Solution
Personally I think that in the next year quad cores will suffer (my quad core is already suffering), so a 4 core 4 thread CPU is not a great buy.

The reviews suggest that the 1300x does not manage 60 fps (when the GPU is not a limitation), sometimes it is just behind the r5's sometimes the gap is much bigger.

I also think that 4 core 8 thread will suffer very quickly, so 6 cores or better is the minimum in my opinion for a new build, you won't need to worry too much about core speed at 60fps, so no need for the unlocked versions.
what resolution and what frequency are you hoping to run it at, 1080p 144 is much harder on the CPU than 1440p 60.

And build it the other way around, overspec your CPU and mobo so that they last for several GPU's swapping a GPU is simple, upgrading a CPU often not so simple.

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
what resolution and what frequency are you hoping to run it at, 1080p 144 is much harder on the CPU than 1440p 60.

And build it the other way around, overspec your CPU and mobo so that they last for several GPU's swapping a GPU is simple, upgrading a CPU often not so simple.

My usage isn't that heavy. I'm just aiming for longevity on a 1080p60 gaming experience. I'm probably not gonna swap out my GPU after I get a 1660 ti bc it's gonna take quite a while for it to start losing significant frames on 1080p gaming.

Personally I think that in the next year quad cores will suffer (my quad core is already suffering), so a 4 core 4 thread CPU is not a great buy.

The reviews suggest that the 1300x does not manage 60 fps (when the GPU is not a limitation), sometimes it is just behind the r5's sometimes the gap is much bigger.

I also think that 4 core 8 thread will suffer very quickly, so 6 cores or better is the minimum in my opinion for a new build, you won't need to worry too much about core speed at 60fps, so no need for the unlocked versions.

Reactions: Serisly
Solution

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019

Man, budget is about to be broken at this rate. How about the Ryzen 5 1600x ? Isn't it 6 cores 12 threads? It's pretty affordable.

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
It'll let you push enough data for 60fps in most circumstances, so it's good for that.
Buy a decent cooler and you'll be ok.
no idea on mobo, get the newest you can though so that you can upgrade the cpu later.
Oks, thank you so much for your help~ I was definitely about to get rekt with a ryzen 3 if you hadn't told me about the quad core issue.

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
A ryzen 3 would limit a 1660ti. I would go with whats mentioned above. Make sure not to cheap out on your psu with a decent video card, even if your on a budget. A corsair tx550 or cx550 should do.
Thanks for the psu suggestions, I was wondering about these. Do you also agree that a Ryzen 5 1600x would not bottleneck the 1660 ti btw?

SeaSonic focus plus gold 650watt
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E1...,+LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566
This might be out of your budget but this is a very good powersupply.
Heres something cheaper,less efficient, and not modular, although a semi modular version is available. Corsair cx550w https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fd...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na
I have a cx550m (semi modular version) working with an overclocked ryzen 3 1200 and weaker gpu just fine. It supplies more than enough power for what you need.

Reactions: Serisly

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
SeaSonic focus plus gold 650watt
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817151186?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,+LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566
This might be out of your budget but this is a very good powersupply.
Heres something cheaper,less efficient, and not modular, although a semi modular version is available. Corsair cx550w https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fd...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na
I have a cx550m (semi modular version) working with an overclocked ryzen 3 1200 and weaker gpu just fine. It supplies more than enough power for what you need.

Thanks friend. I'll definitely get the SeaSonic one if I can but if it turns out to be too much for my budget I'll get the Corsair one. Just for reference, both of them can power up the build, right?

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
what frequency
Excuse me but what frequency is this? Should I just sell this and get a gaming monitor? Paying in mind I also use it to watch movies and the like on high quality. I'm asking to see if the drawback on gaming on a TV like this would be significant.

I use a Ryzen 1600 with a Vega 64, I don't think you'll be CPU bottlenecked with a 1660Ti.

Right now, I would get a ryzen 2600 over a 1600x, they're about the same price and boost frequency is only 100mhz less on the 2600 , but the newer 12nm silicon on the 2600 might allow for a little better overclock, and the improved memory controller will allow for more stable ram compatibility and speeds.

However, since ZEN 2 is only about 3 months away. You could just try to find the cheapest quad core Ryzen you can get on ebay, ride it out for 3 months and buy a far more superior Ryzen 3000 series CPU. Even a lower end ryzen will be fine for most games because the 1660ti is a midrange GPU, or get a used ryzen 1600 or 1500x.

Difficult to say, TV refresh rates are fiddled with, a PC monitor will fresh 'cleaner' it'll have grey to grey times that are better. Most films are in 24fps so TV's don't need to refresh quickly. The system you've specced will work for a 1080p 60 hz screen and a little beyond.

Honestly, I would just a bronze power supply unless you live in an area where electricity is really expensive. If your only playing 4-6 hours per day, and using say 450watts while gaming, then a gold supply might use 23watts less power than a bronze supply, when you calculate the wattage difference for a month, the difference between bronze and gold is negligible compared to the rest of your power bill. 6 hours per day * 23watts * 31 days ends up being about 4kwh. At 12cent/kwh in my area that's 48 cents of difference per month, and at a high 30cents/kwh area that's $1.20 per month. When your computer is idling or your doing light tasks like surfing the web, you aren't using more than 150 watts of power. Then you're looking at like 10watts of difference between a bronze and gold supply, i'ts very negligible.

Now if you're building a server which will be on 24/7, then a gold, platinum or titanium supply make more sense.

Reactions: 13thmonkey
Honestly, I would just a bronze power supply unless you live in an area where electricity is really expensive. If your only playing 4-6 hours per day, and using say 450watts while gaming, then a gold supply might use 23watts less power than a bronze supply, when you calculate the wattage difference for a month, the difference between bronze and gold is negligible compared to the rest of your power bill. 6 hours per day * 23watts * 31 days ends up being about 4kwh. At 12cent/kwh in my area that's 48 cents of difference per month, and at a high 30cents/kwh area that's $1.20 per month. When your computer is idling or your doing light tasks like surfing the web, you aren't using more than 150 watts of power. Then you're looking at like 10watts of difference between a bronze and gold supply, i'ts very negligible.

Now if you're building a server which will be on 24/7, then a gold, platinum or titanium supply make more sense.
Unfortunately they are sometimes equated to quality. And bronze being lowest takes a hit, in reality it's got nothing to do with quality and bronze is better than no rating.

Unfortunately they are sometimes equated to quality. And bronze being lowest takes a hit, in reality it's got nothing to do with quality and bronze is better than no rating.

I had an EVGA bronze supply last me a very long time without dying, but when I built my Ryzen PC, I decided to spend a little more on a Seasonic X850 Gold PLus 850w supply since I had a fat tax return check. I paid quite a bit for the supply and had to send it back for warranty twice.

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
I use a Ryzen 1600 with a Vega 64, I don't think you'll be CPU bottlenecked with a 1660Ti.

Right now, I would get a ryzen 2600 over a 1600x, they're about the same price and boost frequency is only 100mhz less on the 2600 , but the newer 12nm silicon on the 2600 might allow for a little better overclock, and the improved memory controller will allow for more stable ram compatibility and speeds.

However, since ZEN 2 is only about 3 months away. You could just try to find the cheapest quad core Ryzen you can get on ebay, ride it out for 3 months and buy a far more superior Ryzen 3000 series CPU. Even a lower end ryzen will be fine for most games because the 1660ti is a midrange GPU, or get a used ryzen 1600 or 1500x.
For me there's around a 34$ difference between them. The 1600x being cheaper. I also don't think I'll overclock. My only issue is the temp on 1600x but like 13thmonkey advised, nothing a decent cooler can't fix.

Also do you think a Ryzen 3 in the 3000 series won't be worse than a lower on in the ryzen 5, since there's also the fact Ryzen 3 will always be quad core. I'm not sure how much of an issue the amount of core poses though.