[SOLVED] What's the cheapest processor+motherboard combo that would not bottleneck the GTX 1660 ti?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
I'm trying to build a budget computer centered around a good mid-range GPU and there's surprisingly no threads I can find about this. Would the Ryzen 3 1200 or 1300x be fine or do I need to get a Ryzen 5 no matter what? also open for any intel suggestions obvviously they're just more expensive.

EDIT TL;DR: So basically for those who are too lazy to read the entire thread; it looks like waiting for the Ryzen 3 3300/3300x is the most efficient solution from what I can understand. Current Ryzen 3s are out of the question because they're quad core and these will suffer soon (the new Ryzen 3 won't be). Ryzen 5 1600x or 2600 seem to be the most value for your money if you're not willing to wait however.

Last edited:
Solution
Personally I think that in the next year quad cores will suffer (my quad core is already suffering), so a 4 core 4 thread CPU is not a great buy.

The reviews suggest that the 1300x does not manage 60 fps (when the GPU is not a limitation), sometimes it is just behind the r5's sometimes the gap is much bigger.

I also think that 4 core 8 thread will suffer very quickly, so 6 cores or better is the minimum in my opinion for a new build, you won't need to worry too much about core speed at 60fps, so no need for the unlocked versions.
For me there's around a 34$ difference between them. The 1600x being cheaper. I also don't think I'll overclock. My only issue is the temp on 1600x but like 13thmonkey advised, nothing a decent cooler can't fix.

Also do you think a Ryzen 3 in the 3000 series won't be worse than a lower on in the ryzen 5, since there's also the fact Ryzen 3 will always be quad core. I'm not sure how much of an issue the amount of core poses though.

When looking at price, you also have to factor in that the Ryzen 2600 comes with a stock cooler, whereas the 1600x does not. However, a $35 aftermarket hyper evo 212 is better than the stock AMD cooler.

But ifyou don't want to mess with overclocking, then get the ryzen with the highest boost clock, however in this case the 2600's higher 3% IPC improvement makes up for the 100mhz lower clock speed, and may actually benefit a little more from the better XFR 2.0 and Precision Boost 2.0 with a good cooler. The 2600 will ultimately I think be the better processor, however the difference will likely be negligible in the real world fps difference in games and most tasks.

For todays games, I think a 6 core cpu will get you through the next couple years without an issue. You could always buy a ryzen 3000 series cpu at a later date should 6 cores become a bottleneck, years in the future.

AMD's previous launches were around MAY before retailers had a good supply of chips. However, it's really hard to say this year, June/July are the latest rumors. You could try to find the cheapest 4 core ryzen on ebay to tide you over for 3 months, then buy a 6 core Ryzen 3 when they launch. An Athlon 200GE dual core 4 thread chip could also work for now depending on the games you play( even comes with a stock cooler. The advantage of the new chips is they'll have IPC on par with intel and much higher boost clocks. It would be a fully competitive CPU when it comes out.

Last edited:

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
If you can order from amazon or ebay, the 1st gen ryzen 1700 is about 150-160, the 1600 around ~15ish bucks cheaper. 400 series mobo would be best for new ryzen compatibility, but, I've heard people saying even b350 mobos should work with the new ryzen.

I definitely wouldn't get a 4 core/4 thread cpu in 2019, I found my ivy bridge i5 getting eaten up badly as time went on in certain games, nonetheless multitasking or trying to stream.

I'm personally unsure on the tv part using it as a monitor, I've known a few friends who have used them fine, but online, people always say the refresh rate or response time isn't that great for pc gaming. A friend used to use a cheap 32inch rca walmart tv that was only 1366x768 resolution iirc and it actually had really nice colors and was fine with no perceivable response time lag or anything.

newegg currently has 16gb of g.skill aegis 3000mhz for ~$79 iirc, thinking about doubling my capacity by nabbing some up tbh, although they have slightly worse timings than my current ram in my pc, c15 vs c16 iirc, idk if that really matters much in the real world though especially gaming. Maybe timings are just a synthetic benchmark bragging right type of thing.

Serisly

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
So they're cheaper than the Ryzen 5 1600x but offer around the same capabilities? Even the 3300x is cheaper and it looks more capable.

I think it will be more like April or May , they always come out early.

I'll be building my pc around that time anyway so I guess It's a better bargain for both the price and performance. Unless there is a drawback to getting a Ryzen 3 3300/3300x to a Ryzen 1600x or 2600 that I'm missing.

I'm personally unsure on the tv part using it as a monitor, I've known a few friends who have used them fine, but online, people always say the refresh rate or response time isn't that great for pc gaming. A friend used to use a cheap 32inch rca walmart tv that was only 1366x768 resolution iirc and it actually had really nice colors and was fine with no perceivable response time lag or anything.
If you're used to plaing on an Xbox or Playstation, then it's really no different. Sure input lag is less noticeable on a controller, but unless you're playing competitively in a first person shooter, you can turn on Vsync and it'll look good at 60fps. If you play alot of single player campaigns, you won't notice at all.

So they're cheaper than the Ryzen 5 1600x but offer around the same capabilities? Even the 3300x is cheaper and it looks more capable.

I'll be building my pc around that time anyway so I guess It's a better bargain for both the price and performance. Unless there is a drawback to getting a Ryzen 3 3300/3300x to a Ryzen 1600x or 2600 that I'm missing.

Ryzen 3000 series will have much improved cache latency and better ram compatibility. It's also supposed to have higher boost clocks with 7nm. It'll be better by a large margin for the same amount of money any way you slice it. AMD has to offer better value to compete with Intel. WIth intel now offering 6 core i5's, AMD will up the ante on their Ryzen 3 series. Intel sales will drop like a rock this year. The chiplet design is fully confirmed by Lisa Su herself, so more core on each Ryzen series are 99% for sure going to happen.

Reactions: Serisly
If you plan on upgrading to ryzen 3000, a ryzen 3 with a 1660ti would see playable framerates, but be cpu limited.

The ryzen 3 in the nex generation Zen2/Ryzen3000 series is supposed to have more cores. If it has 6 cores, it won't be cpu limited.

We know from Lisa's demonstration 2 months ago that AMD has caught up to intel in IPC, or is extremely close with their engineering cpu matching intel's best i9 processor in cinebench with the same amount of cores. So as long as it has 6 cores, you won't be cpu bottlenecked on the 1660ti.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
ryzen 3000 series seems very tantalizing with the much improved ipc and core clocks and core numbers, I've personally been fine with my 1700, recently put it to 3.7 for a little boost. A cheap 1500x is essentially a cheap 4c/8t similar to i7 4770 which could certainly suffice for a few months if not longer. Depends if the user wants to stream or multitask while also gaming as well. The 1st gen ryzen as a whole have gotten fairly cheap now.