Whats the consensus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anduin1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
So what's the consensus on the brand of SSD that is most reliable. Recently I have had my OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 120gb drive die on me and the main culprit may have been my tendency to put my PC to sleep every night instead of powering off. Still it lasted a year which is longer than I have read on some review sites but now I need a new one and am unsure whether OCZ is the right way to go. I have heard intel has some better quality drives but the price also seems to reflect name brand. Any suggestions? Looking for something between 60-120gb.

Solution
Everyone has their own personal favorites.

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then Samsung is worth considering. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung...
Everyone has their own personal favorites.

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then Samsung is worth considering. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and then click on the links to the technical reviews.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.