Whats the deal with the phenom ll x 2's ? when are they coming out ?

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
So what's the deal with the phenom ll x2. i am reading that they are going to come with large l3 caches and high clock speeds but i don't know when they will be released, i am pretty sure that this line as well as the tri cores will go in competition with the i5 what do you guys think? when do you think they will come out? and would you buy them?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

In other news, im getting my plumbing fixed. The plumber will be here between 12AM and 12PM.

I believe there are 3 new Phenoms coming out in the next month. The AthlonX4 (6xx series) and AthlonX3 (4xx series) are also due - I believe they are 2Mb cache versions.

The new AthlonX2 'Regor' (2xx series) is due in June (also 2Mb cache).

loneninja

Distinguished

Numerous websites have reported the Athlon X4/X3 to be delayed, some claim till June others claim till Q3.

I found some linkage:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/11845/amd_athlon_ii_quad_and_triple_core_cpu_s_delayed/index.html

The Propus and Rana 45nm processors are being pushed back to sometime around August or September. This puts the launch right in line with the entry level Pisces chip as well.

However, the dual-core Athlon II Regor CPU still retains the same scheduled launch time of June, right along side the the dual-core Phenom II X2.

AMD Athlon II X4 600-series (Propus) is a quad-core processor with dual-channel DDR2/DDR3 memory controller (depending on platform) and 2MB L2 cache (512KB per core), Athlon II X3 400-series (Rana) is a triple-core central processing unit with DDR2/DDR3 memory controller (depending on platform) and with 1.5MB L2 cache, whereas AMD Athlon II X2 200-series (Regor) is a dual-core processor with 1MB L2 cache per core and DDR2/DDR3 support, depending on the platform.

I didn't realize there was a Phenom II *X2*

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

yeah i actually read it for the first time a few days ago and i was really interested from what i have gathered it would provide the performance of high end core 2 duos at less than half the price of the intel chips so thats pretty interesting.