Whats the deal with Windows 10 for Workstations?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
All I keep hearing about is the Windows 10 Fall Creators update. I am looking for more details than have been put in the twenty something articles that there will be a Windows 10 for Workstations.

Is it a free upgrade or will it be be Per CPU, Per Core, Per Thread (Like $5000 a license?) :-D

And do we know anything more about it than we did a week or month ago?

Solution
I believe "for Workstations" is still part of insider builds right now.

As of a week ago, it looks like Insiders were installing/running it:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/windows-10-pro-for-workstations-will-not-install/5be1f3dd-2af7-4cda-9991-e8d1bbb35fa6?auth=1

The standard MS Sales dept aren't likely to know much about Pro for WS. That would most likely be handled by the "business" licensing environment.
Licenses bought outside of prebuilt "Workstations" would likely be handled the same way as OEM licenses (essentially). You built it, you're the OEM, you should be able to 'fix' any issues that arise.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't think it's going to be an "upgrade", free or otherwise - my interpretation is it's an enhanced "Pro" version of Windows 10, expanding support to 4CPUs (don't believe this has existed in any version of Windows until now) and increasing RAM support to something like 5TB.

I don't know if there's going to be a "core" support increase, as even Home x64 supports up to 256 Cores.

I think, from a cost perspective, I would expect it to be a "per system" license fee - no different than it's ever really been.

Whether your system runs 2 CPUs or 4CPUs, I would expect it to be $X* flat.

*What that price will be, is anybodies guess.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well, Apparently it is still vaporware.... it did not release with the fall creators update and when I called Microsoft Sales they had no clue what Windows 10 Pro for Workstations was. Looks like serious communications issues exist at Microsoft.

I might need to stick with Centos.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I believe "for Workstations" is still part of insider builds right now.

As of a week ago, it looks like Insiders were installing/running it:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install-insiderplat_pc/windows-10-pro-for-workstations-will-not-install/5be1f3dd-2af7-4cda-9991-e8d1bbb35fa6?auth=1

The standard MS Sales dept aren't likely to know much about Pro for WS. That would most likely be handled by the "business" licensing environment.
Licenses bought outside of prebuilt "Workstations" would likely be handled the same way as OEM licenses (essentially). You built it, you're the OEM, you should be able to 'fix' any issues that arise.

Solution