[SOLVED] What's the difference between Kingston RAM modules KVR16LS11/8 and KCP3L16SD8/8?

Apr 2, 2020
Hi, fellows. I have a HP Pavilion 15-e001TU laptop that came with a 8GB PC3-12800 module (Micron Tech 16KTF1G64HZ-1G6E1) and I want to add one more. Options are Kigston KVR16LS11/8 and KCP3L16SD8/8 (the latter one is cheaper). What's the difference between them? Will it work in dual channel with the memory already installed in my machine? Thank you.

Reactions: abelrod
Solution
I don't really see any difference between those 2 modules.

Beware that mixing and matching memory modules, like you're trying, to do is not guaranteed to work... there's a chance that the modules won't be compatible with each other.

Also, from your laptop manual:

6iPoRLQ.jpg

It supports dual channel, but only 8GBs of RAM MAX in either single channel(1x8 like you have) or dual channel(2x4).
I don't really see any difference between those 2 modules.

Beware that mixing and matching memory modules, like you're trying, to do is not guaranteed to work... there's a chance that the modules won't be compatible with each other.

Also, from your laptop manual:

6iPoRLQ.jpg

It supports dual channel, but only 8GBs of RAM MAX in either single channel(1x8 like you have) or dual channel(2x4).

Solution
Apr 2, 2020
Just another thing. Checking HWInfo it says, in "physical memory array" section, that 16 gb are supported by my machine. I don't know if it matters but this machine was bought in Japan (it has the japanese keyboard and everything). Should I ignore it?

Just another thing. Checking HWInfo it says, in "physical memory array" section, that 16 gb are supported by my machine. I don't know if it matters but this machine was bought in Japan (it has the japanese keyboard and everything). Should I ignore it?

Here:

So, that report can be unreliable... I wouldn't trust it.
That said, if you can return the 8GB module, then sure you can give it a try and test if it supports a 2x8 GB.

Apr 2, 2020
I will try to borrow another module and test it before buying a new one. Thanks.
By the way, nice picture. I'm a big fan of the Audi quattro and the Audi rally drivers from the 80's.

Reactions: ChumP
I will try to borrow another module and test it before buying a new one. Thanks.
By the way, nice picture. I'm a big fan of the Audi quattro and the Audi rally drivers from the 80's.

That's a great idea, but beware that even though let's say the modules will work together, there's no guarantee that the new one you'll buy will be compatible with your current module(even though the modules are from the same modules).
That's a risk you're taking when buying modules separately and nit in kits... that's why you need to make sure that the module you're buying is returnable.

Yeah... that revving inline-five engine from the Group B Audi Quattro S1, still gives me chills every time I hear it.

Last edited: