What's the difference between the GTX 460 and the GTX 460 SE?

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015
What's the difference between the GTX 460 and the GTX 460 SE?
What does the SE stand for? It's not "special edition" because it's the worst performing out of all of the GTX 460 variants.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
No not special edition. I think it was Smart edition or some other Acronym. But years ago when it came out I remember people trashed this card all over the place calling it Slow edition, suckass edition etc etc.

It's simply a cut back version of the original GTX 460. According to those who had them and benchmarked them, the different was negligible in real world settings but I honestly think there was a difference you could tell, and we're not even talking benchmarking figures yet. Anyhow, it's a cheaper version and it was around the end of 2011 when it starting coming out. There's far more better cards out there today for 'bang for your buck'!

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015
I got it for $50 on Amazon, I was surprised at the low price but now it makes sense. It's a strange card because when I benchmarked it with passmark it performed better than the average score. The average is 2640 but I got a score of 3078, which was why I asked about it. I also found out that it's an OEM card from the Wikipedia link mentioned, and did some digging and found out that it came from a Dell computer, not sure which one.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I have had both and the difference is virtually unnoticeable. They both overclocked equally well but that was back in the day when 1GB of VRAM was the norm. For actual hardware comparison: http://www.hwcompare.com/8224/geforce-gtx-460-1gb-vs-geforce-gtx-460-se/

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-460
For general purpose gaming like I do (I don't do any real fancy stuff, I use Blender for modelling, not rendering) the 460 has a much higher price-per-performance value. I can even get an RX 460 for $70, which is even better than the 560ti. If I wasn't building a whole 'nother system with my spare parts, paycheck-to-4-days-before-paycheck, then I'd consider post-$100 cards but anything under $100 with a Passmark score over 2000 is fine in my book.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

The 560ti averages $135 on Amazon, the cheapest I could find was $79.99 and only 1GB, similar to my GTX 460SE. meaning OEM parts.

The RX460 I mentioned was 2GB GDDR5, but I've already purchased some components for this hyper-budget build. I already have 8GB of DDR3, a motherboard, a dual core Core 2 Duo E7500, a decent case, and a 350W PSU for about $70. I have a spare nVidia GT 710 that I can overclock pretty well with MSI Afterburner but the GDDR3 is incredibly slow even when overclocked. The main game this budget build is going to be Skyrim, and I've seen Witcher 3 Wild Hunt on worse spec machines. The motherboard, RAM, CPU, and PSU came bundled and it was too good of a deal to pass up, especially for this build. Once I have a bit more money I'm going to get a bigger PSU and GPU plus another Q9400.

I don't have a credit card because it got stolen, so when my paycheck comes I just withdraw cash and buy myself Amazon gift cards.

Also, sorry I'm a bit all over the place with my replies, I do too much thinking and it gets splurged all over the place sometimes. I have Asperger's so it can be a bit difficult sometimes.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

That reminds me
http://i.imgur.com/PvsqZS6.jpg