What's the difference between these Corsair modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Im been looking at these Corsair 8GB. Apart from the price, what's the difference between these
Vengeance- http://www.ebuyer.com/274036-corsair-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-vengeance-blue-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9b
and this
XMS3- http://www.ebuyer.com/247677-corsair-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-xms3-memory-cmx8gx3m2a1600c9

The only realy difference that i can see that it says is the price and the voltages, the Vengeance needing 1.5V and XMS3 needing 1.65V.
Will needing more voltage mean the modules will be better or what?
Is there a difference in the quality of build between these two kits?

I will be looking to use either these kits with an Intel 3570k.
Will one kit have an advantage over the other when using with an Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge?

Solution
A module that can operate at a given speed with less power is the better module. This is a general rule of thumb. The Vengeance is considered the better memory than the XMS. You should use the 1.5V memory because that is what Ivy and Sandy bridge are specced to use.
A module that can operate at a given speed with less power is the better module. This is a general rule of thumb. The Vengeance is considered the better memory than the XMS. You should use the 1.5V memory because that is what Ivy and Sandy bridge are specced to use.

Solution

wrenaudrey

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
But what if i did get the XMS with the 1.65V? Will i be faced with BSODs? Overheating?
What exactly will be the problem?

Also, Dominator. Whats the difference between them and Vengeance?
Because theyre thesame in Latency, Voltages and speed, only difference is price.

"But what if i did get the XMS with the 1.65V? Will i be faced with BSODs?"

Very likely, BSODs will be a problem. Also, failure to POST is a common problem with 1.65v ram in a system designed for 1.5v ram.

The big difference between Dominator and Vengeance is the heat sink design. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.