Whats the difference between these Ryzen 5 processors, All have 6 cores and 12 threads

Nov 11, 2018
I'm just curious to know and understand.

Whats the difference between these processors https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-5 when it comes to video editing:

AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600X
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600
AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600X
AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600

I read all of them have 6 cores and 12 Threads. The only difference I found is TDP and clock speed and X cpus are for overclocking, thats it.

How to choose which one is for what purpose?

Solution
The X-series have higher clock speeds. Both X and non-X can overclock on a B or X series motherboard. Some of those do not have a cooler included.

The 2xxx series have improved processing efficiency or IPC (instructions per cycle) making them faster even at the same clock speed as the 1xxx series.
The X-series have higher clock speeds. Both X and non-X can overclock on a B or X series motherboard. Some of those do not have a cooler included.

The 2xxx series have improved processing efficiency or IPC (instructions per cycle) making them faster even at the same clock speed as the 1xxx series.

Solution
They are, for most people, effectively the same thing. Your other components, such as the videocard, will have an effect on performance. This tends to level out minor differences in CPU performance.

That said, you may have a specific reason for picking one over the other. For instance, consider an X CPU as factory overclocked. You get the benefits of that extra performance without having to overclock it yourself. There are benefits to going with the second gen Ryzen, ie 2600, over the first gen 1600. Does any of this matter to you? Only you can say since the answer depends on what you need it for.