[SOLVED] What's the difference between these ssd's?

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
I assume the more expensive ones are basically better/faster?

I currently have a SATA SSD, so I assume all of these would outperform the SATA?

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-ROCKET-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-4TB/dp/B07ZQSDQDB

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Internal-Maximum-Performance-SB-RKTQ4-4TB/dp/B08D28X4HW

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-4TB/dp/B087N7HLRV

If I'm doing basic stuff (no heavy gaming or graphics stuff), would there be any point in getting the highest end one, or just stick to the $750 one?

Solution
I haven't seen any pc's with a 4 TB ssd that are anywhere close to $1350.

I may also just get a 2 TB ssd I'm not sure. I have a lot of downloads and stuff so I wanted a 4 TB drive for the future in case I go past 2 TB, but it may not be necessary.

Also I wouldn't mind a SATA drive, however they're often soldered to the motherboards, whereas NVMe's aren't, so I can upgrade one that comes with NVMe.

Edit: also how do I know if there's an extra NVMe slot? If there is that'd be ideal.

You buy a ~1150 dollars laptop that has a 1TB SSD in it. You add another 90 dollars 1TB SSD in it and you buy a 2TB external HDD. In the end you have your 4TB. 2TB that is SSD for your games, software, storage and that external HDD. Same price...
NVME drives are the way to go for a basic OS/apps drive...but, as the price often quickly goes up more than double when doubling the storage size, best to get just a 1 TB or 2 TB unless you truly need a 4 TB NVME drive. (As stated above, if you need that much space, a pair of separate 2 TB drives cost less overall, and, often a SATA SSD, at $225/2 TB makes lots of sense for semi-fast bulk storage)

I have a 500 GB NVME, and, am keeping about 170 GB of it's space open when possible...; if I need more, I will get a 1 or 2 TB unit to go in the other NVME slot...

Gaming-wise, standard SATA SSD vs. NVME is not even a big difference in boot times or game load times...but a 2 TB NVME drive is about $100-$200 more, depending on PCI-e 3.0 vs. 4.0 (respectively), where the latter makes even less of a difference, short of seeming twice as impressive in CrstalDiskMark.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sabrent-rocket-4-plus-m2-nvme-ssd-review

Sabrent's 2 TB model looks good...! (Is your mainboard PCI-e 4.0 capable? If not, confine yourself to the PCI-e 3.0 options, still plenty fast, and, less expensive)

"NVME drives are the way to go for a basic OS/apps drive"

A 860 EVO is as good as a NVMe for a boot drive or apps drive. That 1 second loading time you gain is totally not necessary.

Not saying you should not be using one for your OS and app drive. I have 2 NVMe. Just not necessary.

We buy them because some of them are the same prices as a SATAIII SSD. If it was triple the price no one would buy that for that difference in loading time.

Reactions: johnsoner13

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
So buying a 750 dollars drive for a 600 US dollar laptop? Why not buy a 1350 dollars laptop with an already bigger drive in it?

I may also just get a 2 TB ssd I'm not sure. I have a lot of downloads and stuff so I wanted a 4 TB drive for the future in case I go past 2 TB, but it may not be necessary.

Also I wouldn't mind a SATA drive, however they're often soldered to the motherboards, whereas NVMe's aren't, so I can upgrade one that comes with NVMe.

Edit: also how do I know if there's an extra NVMe slot? If there is that'd be ideal.

USAFRet

Titan

A SATA M.2 is no more soldered to the motherboard than an NVMe M.2 drive is, or a 2.5" SATA drive.

You're thinking of eMMC drives.

You buy a ~1150 dollars laptop that has a 1TB SSD in it. You add another 90 dollars 1TB SSD in it and you buy a 2TB external HDD. In the end you have your 4TB. 2TB that is SSD for your games, software, storage and that external HDD. Same price. Better laptop specs. You win.

Solution

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
You need to look at actual specs from HP (or whoever). Not an ebay link.

Give us the link and we can go from there.

It looks like all the pc's I've checked recently have actually been NVMe drives, so I guess that's not an issue.

You buy a ~1150 dollars laptop that has a 1TB SSD in it. You add another 90 dollars 1TB SSD in it and you buy a 2TB external HDD. In the end you have your 4TB. 2TB that is SSD for your games, software, storage and that external HDD. Same price. Better laptop specs. You win.

That's a good idea, however there's not always a secondary SSD slot.

I just got the one from ebay. Hopefully there is a second SSD slot in it and I can add a 2 TB drive. If not I'll just replace the SSD that's already there.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stick with Gen3 NVMe in a laptop. Gen4 are serious about heat issues and generally require heatsinks to keep them in check. Not exactly ideal for laptop use as you don't have room for a heatsink and certainly do not need the additional heat outputs they generate.

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
Stick with Gen3 NVMe in a laptop. Gen4 are serious about heat issues and generally require heatsinks to keep them in check. Not exactly ideal for laptop use as you don't have room for a heatsink and certainly do not need the additional heat outputs they generate.

I got a good deal on a Samsung 970 EVO PLUS, which I believe is Gen 3.

TRENDING THREADS