[SOLVED] What's the difference between TN+film and SVA(TN+film) ?

Jan 23, 2019
I've seen that in some shops there two different parameters of display: TN+film and SVA (TN+film) (so, that you can select laptops with TN+film or SVA (TN+film)).

Solution
Ah, so there are four primary display technologies floating about.

TN (Twisted Nematic)
VA (Vertical Alignment)
IPS/PLS (In-Plane-Switching, Plane-Line(Level?)-Switching) I forget exactly, but just different patents that achieve the same effect.
OLED/Plasma (OLED is an led per sub-pixel. Plasma was a cell with excited gas per sub-pixel, IE no backlight) (Plasma manufacturing has halted in favor of OLED)

SVA TN is Samsung's Super Vertical Alignment, just a brand name for their version of VA. VA does a nice job of combining many of the features of IPS/PLS with the response times of TN. Most of your high refresh rate gaming panels are TN or VA. IPS/PLS is usually reserved for televisions and high end professional displays. But they...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, so there are four primary display technologies floating about.

TN (Twisted Nematic)
VA (Vertical Alignment)
IPS/PLS (In-Plane-Switching, Plane-Line(Level?)-Switching) I forget exactly, but just different patents that achieve the same effect.
OLED/Plasma (OLED is an led per sub-pixel. Plasma was a cell with excited gas per sub-pixel, IE no backlight) (Plasma manufacturing has halted in favor of OLED)

SVA TN is Samsung's Super Vertical Alignment, just a brand name for their version of VA. VA does a nice job of combining many of the features of IPS/PLS with the response times of TN. Most of your high refresh rate gaming panels are TN or VA. IPS/PLS is usually reserved for televisions and high end professional displays. But they still make there way into non-gaming monitors.

TN, Poor viewing angles, poor color reproduction, great response times (1-2ms), Cheap
VA, Good viewing angles, good color reproduction, good response times (4ms)
IPS, Great viewing angles, great color reproduction, average response times (5ms and up typically, some pro displays might reach 11ms)

OLED and Plasma big advantage is true blacks, when the pixels are off, they are off. All of the others act like light shutters. The backlight is always on and the pixels are either 'open' or 'closed' (If you ignore backlight zoning that a lot of panels now have)

Solution