[SOLVED] What's the difference between VGA Drivers (found on Asus website) and Radeon Software Adrenalin (found on AMD website)?

Oct 4, 2021
Hi everyone,

My PC ran into trouble last night, which was it couldn't boot into Windows and stuck in Automatic Repair Fail loop. So, just in case the worst happens and I should reset my PC, do I need to install the graphic driver again?

And my 2nd question is: what's the difference between VGA Drivers found on ASUS Website (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_download) and Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.8.2 found on AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-8-2) ?? Should I install both or just one of them? Which one?

My specs: R5 5600X
ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
G.Skill TZNeo 2x8GB 3600MHz
Nitro+ RX 6700XT
Storage Adata SX6000 Lite (where Windows is installed)

The screenshot of VGA Driver download page
Finally, thanks in advance to anyone who is kindly enough to help me with an explanation or two.

Regards

Solution
Your motherboard can support integrated graphics with some processors.
That is likely in the asus link.
The drivers in the amd link are likely for the 6800XT.
No need to install the motherboard drivers, No harm either.
You DO want the graphics card drivers.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Reset restores Windows to default if chose not to keep files and settings. Basic drivers are installed if do a full reset and installing drivers from Amd is recommended because they are up to date. 3rd parties either don't provide updated drivers or are slow to do so, including motherboard chipset driver. Can compare release dates.

Search B550 chipset driver and Amd's site will pop up.

Your motherboard can support integrated graphics with some processors.
That is likely in the asus link.
The drivers in the amd link are likely for the 6800XT.
No need to install the motherboard drivers, No harm either.
You DO want the graphics card drivers.

Solution
Oct 4, 2021
Hi all,

Thanks to @boju and @geofelt for your responses.

So, I googled a bit and found a way to stop Automatic Repair loop (using Command Prompt in Advanced Troubleshooting - it takes us there if Automatic Repair fails).

Then, I found this:

It says, more or less, "the operating system could not be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contain errors"

The missing driver is pci.sys in Windows/System32/drivers folder and the error code is 0xc0000221.

My questions is:

Since I can NEITHER go boot into normal Windows NOR enter Safe Mode, can I copy this pci.sys file from another PC and paste it into Windows/System32/drivers folder?

If that's possible, I will try to create a Linux Live USB (maybe Ubuntu) and boot to Linux to access my SSD where Windows is installed to paste the file

I look forward to anyone kindly enough to enlighten me on this. Thank you all.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's possible i guess. Below discusses same deal. I searched my pc and there are several pci.sys file in various locations.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l-repair/ed1f2dd8-50fa-44da-93fe-3d0636498f02

Fortunately, there are several copies of the pci.sys file on your HDD in other places - you just have to boot on something to replace the missing file, then get rid of your afflicted antiwhatever software, consider something more friendly, use some different scanning software, then fix any remaining issues.

How did this happen anyway, did you have a virus or something? What happened, what did you do?

Oct 4, 2021
It's possible i guess. Below discusses same deal. I searched my pc and there are several pci.sys file in various locations.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l-repair/ed1f2dd8-50fa-44da-93fe-3d0636498f02

How did this happen anyway, did you have a virus or something? What happened, what did you do?
Hello, thanks for the response @boju

How it happened: Last Sunday night, I played 1 or 2 games on Steam, then update a Steam game in the background while I watched Youtube to wait the update to finish. It was only 40 MB size of update but the download speed is lower than 50 KB/s. At the time I suspected something else was downloading. My best guess is that I attempted to shut down my PC while it was in the middle of downloading Windows Update. I didn't do force shut down (i.e. pressing on/off button in the case for certain seconds), no, I did normal shutdown. Unfortunately, I didn't know Windows was downloading updates - I didn't get notification that updates were being downloaded - and I didn't see the SSD was being written (the LED indicator on the case lit up - but I only realized after I clicked shutdown) -> Do you think this might be the cause of this type of error?

First time I clicked shutdown, nothing happened. Second time I clicked shutdown nothing happened. Third time, I clicked restart, nothing happened. Fourth time, I press Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up Task Manager to see what's going on and it said some error (can't remember). The PC managed to turn off at last. Out of curiosity, I turn it on again and face this Automatic Repair and Diagnosing Your PC loop, both always fail and always bring me to Advanced Troubleshooting.

I really do not looking forward to resort to fresh install of Windows because it's a pain to lose pictures, game saves, reinstalling apps, Office. Do you think Reset This PC option is enough? I've got to keep the files but will the error occur again (because I've never done Reset This PC and I understand that the Windows is reset but will the missing driver still be missing and the loop occur again even after the Reset?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If it will happen again? I suspect not if you get it working again. Downloading and installing updates is different and not sure if Windows disables the ability to shutdown via os while updates are being installed to prevent accidental clicks.

Reset pc keeping files should be fine keeping your game saves and other personalised stuff and files, it just restores core system files. Reinstalling chipset, gpu drivers, necessary drivers for hardware should be recommended.

Never use some automatic driver update program, ever.