What's the Difference ....... ?

DGP_2000

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Between the SoundBlaster Live & SoundBlaster Live "Value" ?

Are these good sound cards ?

All I need is a decent soundcard for 2 speakers ..... Not all that digital bull with a 5+ speaker setup .

robtheg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I were you I would go with the value. I got an SB Live MP3+ and most of the software on there comes with big claims, zero instructions, and very low usefulness (at least for the average user). Things like voice command software that doesn't have many options and mixer programs which most people won't be using. Some of them don't even really work. Dang good sound, though.

---
Want to get a 100% interest rate on your computer investment?...Stick your money in the bank!

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
No they´re not the same!

The Blaster Live! has gold plated conections and the value has plastic coloured connections!

Which one would you think would be better?
The gold connections have a better isolation from Noise!

Well, and its true the pure Live! offers Alien vs Predator!
That should be interesting if you don´t have it yet!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Do not want to dispute "LordKaos" but just need to clarify.

I have a 5.1 S/B Live Platinum and it has what he refered to as plastic connections.

I sold my older non 5.1 S/B Live (X-Gamer to be specific) which had gold COLORED jacks.

The only difference in these jacks is color. The sound difference is zero.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
It´s not gold coloured it´s gold plated there´s a Uge
difference!

The gold plated connection are used to avoid the noise and
static!
You might want to ask someone else the difference between gold plated and plastic connections!
Believe me when i say its a completely different sound you would hear!

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I will try to avoid the rude tone and direction your message takes, though it is hard.

The fact that the new 5.1 series cards have plastic color coded faces on the jacks has nothing to do with the actual jack. The interior of the jack (the part that matters) is the same.

If you think the fact that you have gold colored faces on the jacks on your sound card means you have gold plated jacks you are wrong. Regardless, the outside of the jack has nothing whatsoever to do with sound quality. I think you need to come to grips with that fundamental concept.

I am tired of this pointless argument, if you insist on following your "Fool's Gold" theory ask Creative about the differences between the two interfaces. I have both cards and can tell you without a doubt "THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE"

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Well, I wasn´t trying to be rude or impolite!
When i´m rude or impolite , there´s no room for misunderstanding!

Anyway, you still seem to think gold coloured and gold plated is the same thing!

And if you could look at the connections (Gold ones!) you would see that ALL the jacks are gold plated not just the
exterior!

I see you still don´t believe me, so why don´t you ask someone who knows the subject (like a Hi-Fi store!) and see
what they tell you!

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
There is no disputing the fact that gold plated connections are beneficial to sound quality. I never said otherwise.

What I am disputing is what you consider to be differences in the two different S/B Live inputs. (color coded 5.1 and non color coded pre 5.1)

As I said previously, if you think there is a difference, ask Creative.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty funny stuff!!!!!!!!! :eek:)

Now look at what he is saying. The external (to the eye) interface has dull color coded plastic. Now that is not where the conection is made. As he said it is in the interior where the mating surface lies. The pretty gold outer ring loos great 9and I guess sells great too)!

Now go ask at a stereo shop? Do you think many people there really know???

I make/test RF connectors which do quite a bit more than these useless little jacks here. The gold does little but stop corosion and is therefore better than nickle and silver. The insertion loss and return loss on these connectors don't see any difference in the plating. Now we go upto 18 GHz on coaxial connectors. Now if you wish to get into cross talk/intermodulation plating does matter. Time to get rid of the gold and copper underplate.

Are we having fun yet? If you don't beleive me I am willing to ask the engineers at work and shall return tomoorow. I alwasys love a good cat fight.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

Please do ask. I've always wondered about the quality of the gold vs. nickel. I just assumed that it was a marketing ploy and any difference is imperceptible to the human ear.

But to the original question about the Value! versus nonvalue... I have a very early version of the Value! (which a crappy Gigabyte mobo has since fried) and it doesn't have a digital out connection. It thought that was the difference between the two cards.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Regarding the other differences between the value and non value S/B, I am not sure, I have never purchased a value version, I was simply objecting to what was said to be the difference it the two input/output interfaces.

Joe H.
I cannot help but chuckle myself rereading this thread. Thanks for the solid back up on this. Liked you comment about asking stereo shop's for advice. It was probably a salesman who told him that in the first place!

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I have compared the MP3+ and the value side by side and the only differnce is the crappy software they give you. I would save the $50 and get the value
Mbaha

Work is the curse of the drinking class

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I did ask some questions. I am not totally satisfied only because the engineer I questioned does not have experience in audio.

I will eat some crow and say that gold is a better conductor. Will you here it? Well that is the question I am not satified with. Even though the engineer said you <b>wouldn't</b> I would only put him a couple of steps above the salesman at the Hi-Fi store. As I said he does not have the experience necessary.

Still don't be fooled by the entry hole. All that is is the chamfer or guide into the real connection.

Note: This is a poor connctor to start with. And what is the plating on your male mate? What type and gauge wire are you using? How long is the wire? And what is the performance of your speaker system? These last few question are probally much more important.

And if your a freind of mine how far are you willing to go? He was about to by $14,000 worth of 2 speakers. Yeah $14,000 and they are not what he really wnats. He chan't afford the $80K set. Hell he has a one of a kind set of speaker cables which cost more than anyone stereo set I know of. Then there are his tube amps. Only 60 watts a piece too. So is power quality? Not by a far shot. Although his car has 2000 watts. Just so he can power everything cleanly and not worry. Oh then there is his surround set up. Hell I have to be happy with my Klipsch's. My PC is my stereo, DVD, surround ...

<b><font color=green>Now let find some real inteligent life! Hit my link below.</font color=green></b>

I hear if you do they will be more favorable to you when they take over. :eek:)

Glutzie

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

RoJ

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
If you're interested in good sound, why are you considering a Creative Labs product at all? I had a Live! Value. It lasted for one month in my box. It was promptly replaced with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz which has a 10db S/N advantage over the Live!, much better drivers (their beta drivers beat CL's production drivers) and support for every gaming sound API known to God and man. The Live! digital out (I think digital speakers and 5.1 surround sound for music are a crock but that's another issue) is broken badly - the Santa Cruz's is not. There is also a 10-band equalizer in hardware. All this for $99US. The Live! sounded thin and high by comparison - the Santa Cruz has a rich, full sound.

I've never looked back.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The biggest difference between them (besides software bundle) is luck of Digital CD In on Value cards. Other than that there is no difference, they sound the same, thing and high as the other guy said. I did not have Santa Cruz, but MX300 sounds much reacher. I had tried both kinds of Live!, sold both... heh

Post, we'll do the search... :wink:

G

A 2000W car stereo system! Is it a dropped down Honda Civic hatchback with ground effects? That's my guess. I assume that the 1 ton portable nuclear reactor needed to power the stereo reduces his gas mileage.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
"the Santa Cruz has a rich, full sound"....yeah, and so does my toilet when I flush it.

"There is also a 10-band equalizer in hardware. All this for $99US".... A 10 band equalizer! 10 whole bands! man, that is Hi-Fidelity!

what do you sell turtle beach or something?

G

he does not sell turtle beach or something, he sells Santa Cruz from turtle beach, hehehe

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pumba on 03/06/01 03:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I am veri sori, it just sounded funny, hehehe

But "Marry Christmas" to you too, gg

"akuna mutata" braza... :wink: