Whats the diffrence? just the price?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
One is retail and one is OEM.The cheap one is OEM.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

OEM licensing is different .

Install it on one computer , and it stays there till the computer dies

The retail version you can remove from an existing set of hardware and transfer it to another computer .

Most people upgrade windows with a new build anyway s Home 64 bit oem is the best option for most people

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I was able to change a board before. It was a new system. Bought all my parts, put it together, installed windows (& activated), but I was having some crashing issues. After much troubleshooting, I determined the board to be defective. Traded it for a different one (different manufacturer) and have been happily using it the last 2+ years. If I swapped the board today, I would't count on the license transferring so nicely though as Area51 pointed out their policy.

AlienIsGOD

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
I've went from a socket 775 to a socket 1155 w/o any need to call in. everything in my PC was new except for the HDD and even those were relegated to storage after a reformat on to my HyperX 120GB.

Also you can buy a 32 bit version and just use the key with a 64 bit disc.