Question Whats the enrety level clock speed for ultra settings?

Jun 24, 2019
Hi guys i' m new to learning computers so stick with me lol. I know that the entry level for cores is 6 for gaming but what is the entry clock speed for gaming and the entry level clock speed for 1080p/ ultra settings ? The games I tend to play are Star wars battle front 2, Black ops 3 and 4, f13, csgo and r6.

Sorry if this is hard to under stand or doesn't make sense please feel free to correct me and teach me.

Ralston18

Titan
Start here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Read the User Guides and Manuals for your motherboard, CPU, etc. very carefully and plan out what you are going to do.

Start with your "entry" clock speed being the lowest supported speed.

Game/Play for some time to ensure that all is well.

Then go up to the next supported clock speed,

Work your way upwards - if some problem occurs, drop back to the previous overclock configuration.

Go step by step. Keep notes. Try to make only one change at a time.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Hi guys i' m new to learning computers so stick with me lol. I know that the entry level for cores is 6 for gaming but what is the entry clock speed for gaming and the entry level clock speed for 1080p/ ultra settings ? The games I tend to play are Star wars battle front 2, Black ops 3 and 4, f13, csgo and r6.

Sorry if this is hard to under stand or doesn't make sense please feel free to correct me and teach me.
What are asking exactly?
Are asking about CPU clock speeds so that you can overclock or something? I am confused.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is no "minimum clock speed" that will guarantee a certain in game result. every game is different in how it uses the cpu and gpu.

in general though, the game suggests a minimum and recommended cpu/gpu combo to use for best results. for that game, those suggestions are what you need to look at. anything better gives better results. so check the games you play and make note of what is recommended system requirements. put all the games' specs together in a list and the lowest specs would be what you want as a minimum specs for your system to play those games with the results you are hoping for.

other way is to look at some reviews for the games and see what it took to get the desired results you want. again make a list by game and the minimum on that list is what you need as a minimum for the games you wish to play.

Jun 24, 2019
I guess im not under standing what your saying.
For exmaple a ryzen 5 2600 max ghz is 3.9 is that consider good or is that okay?
thats what im really wondering ?

Jun 24, 2019
Oh okay i under stand now a I thought there was a entry level ghz like there is with cpu's but thank you this answered my question I will remember this.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry to disagree, but there sorta is, and has been. The recommended requirements for almost all games a few years back was 3.2GHz. This often played out as an above average amd or average Intel cpu.

Once cpus really started getting ahead of that, stock speeds of 3.4GHz or better, quad core cpus being now mainstream, then that was kind of forgotten about, and changed to specific cpus being the minimum.

But in the gaming world, fps (frames per second) is all about the cpu. The stronger the cpu, the faster it is, the more threads it has are all variables that apply to different games. SWBF2 is a heavily threaded game, 8 threads is almost a must for best fps. CSGO is 2 threads, fps count relies heavily on clock speeds and the cpus IPC (instructions per clock). The stronger the cpu, the higher the fps.

So for CSGO, anything fast with at least 2 threads will get you in fps well above even the fastest refresh monitors, but that same cpu would tank in SWBF2.

What you should be looking at is a cpu that has higher clock speeds (or ability to OC to get higher), has good IPC (anything in the last 2 generations of either Intel or AMD) and enough threads to cover the most demanding games. The best 2 cpus for the price are the Ryzen 2700x and Intel i7-9700k. Currently. Ryzen (Zen2) 3000 series cpus will supposedly go public as of July 7 and reportedly will match Intel IPC or beat it. That would make the $199 Ryzen 3600 a serious contender for best all around cpu as Intel has nothing even close in that price range, at that IPC, with 12 threads.

And it'll overclock, and it'll work well on the better B450 motherboards, which aren't as expensive as the Intel Z390 needed for the 9700k.