Question What's the latest or best PCI sound card?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I have an older PC with a motherboard that still has an old PCI slot on it. I only occasionally use this PC these days but I was looking to give it a bit of an upgrade here and there. I was looking into a sound card for it since the motherboard audio isn't that great these days. However, it's a little difficult to find PCI cards these days because any search for PCI and the search engines automatically think I'm looking for PCIe stuff.

Anyways, I was looking at the Creative Sound Blaster Fatality as the latest and greatest PCI sound card but no one seems to be selling them on ebay anymore. So any suggestions for another good alternative PCI sound card or somewhere else I can buy the Fatalaity (assuming it is the latest and greatest)?

The best audio setups are using external DAC’s and AMP’s. This gets the audio equipment away from interference found inside a pc. I’m no expert but from what I read if you want the best sound you don’t choose a pcie sound card. This is why choice is limited as modern motherboards are as good as a pci sound card and those that want better go for an external solution.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and M3rKn

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
The best audio setups are using external DAC’s and AMP’s. This gets the audio equipment away from interference found inside a pc. I’m no expert but from what I read if you want the best sound you don’t choose a pcie sound card. This is why choice is limited as modern motherboards are as good as a pci sound card and those that want better go for an external solution.

I don't need anything fancy like that in this case. The motherboard audio just hasn't been working right lately and since I have a spare legacy PCI slot, I figured I'd put it to good use and get a sound card for this PC. Given that PCI has been obsolete for many years now, I can't imagine old PCI sound cards being too expensive so I'm totally willing to get a nicer one. I just don't know which PCI sound cards are good and it's tricky to research PCI sound cards because most search engines give me results for PCIe sound cards instead.

I am not an audiophile but do like good sound quality. I currently use the Soundblaster AE5 and can only sing it's praises. The sound quality is exceptional for gaming/music and media and if you have a good set of headphones and it can drive the very best at up to 600 Ohms/Speakers you will notice a nice difference.

They also have made a big stride on the drivers and software and it works very well and is straight forward to setup especially in Windows 10...

I have had no issues so far and I bought mine at launch...still a bit more at around 100 bucks but has been worth it to me....

You can buy better in the AE7 or AE9 or the new EVGA Nu Audio but the AE5 is more than enough..

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I have an older PC with a motherboard that still has an old PCI slot on it. I only occasionally use this PC these days but I was looking to give it a bit of an upgrade here and there. I was looking into a sound card for it since the motherboard audio isn't that great these days. However, it's a little difficult to find PCI cards these days because any search for PCI and the search engines automatically think I'm looking for PCIe stuff.

Anyways, I was looking at the Creative Sound Blaster Fatality as the latest and greatest PCI sound card but no one seems to be selling them on ebay anymore. So any suggestions for another good alternative PCI sound card or somewhere else I can buy the Fatalaity (assuming it is the latest and greatest)?
Conventional PCI will not work in PCI Express slots. However, PCI Express x1 cards will work in PCI Express x16 slots without issue. So there is no need to limit yourself to PCI cards if a PCIe card is readily available.

Don't rule out DACs. Not all DAC/AMPs are expensive. You can get a variety of uses out of them as well depending on what you buy, so you wouldn't be limited to using it with just one source/PC.

You can buy better in the AE7 or AE9 or the new EVGA Nu Audio but the AE5 is more than enough..
But if your heart strings are set on an internal sound card you can't go wrong with any of vMax's suggestions.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Conventional PCI will not work in PCI Express slots. However, PCI Express x1 cards will work in PCI Express x16 slots without issue. So there is no need to limit yourself to PCI cards if a PCIe card is readily available.

Don't rule out DACs. Not all DAC/AMPs are expensive. You can get a variety of uses out of them as well depending on what you buy, so you wouldn't be limited to using it with just one source/PC.

But if your heart strings are set on an internal sound card you can't go wrong with any of vMax's suggestions.

All my PCI Express slots are currently occupied by other stuff including my graphics card so the only free slot I have left is a legacy PCI slot hence why I was looking at PCI cards instead.

Would probably help to know WHAT motherboard you have.

-Wolf sends

It's an Intel DH55TC motherboard. The PCIe x16 slot is currently occupied by a graphics card which also covers up another x1 slot. The other x1 slot is being used for a USB 3 expansion card. So that just leaves the legacy PCI lot slot available which I was thinking about using for a sound card.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013