Question Whats the main difference between these mobos

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
So i do not understand the difference between all of asus’s motherboards like the asus rog strix z390-e or asus prime z390-a, z390-I etc.... i did find a motherboard that interests me which is the MSI Mpg z390 gaming pro carbon ac https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON is this a good motherboard? im getting a pc from a friend for free that has a 6700k with a msi z170a gaming m5 mobo but on pc part picker says the 9700k isnt compatible but the cpu and mobo both say LGA1151. I also wanted to know if the i7-9700k is the best option, i know its up to speed with the 9900k (i prefer intel over amd) but i do want the Asus ROG STRIX rx 5700 xt. I planned on using his case (fractal design r5) and his psu (evga 750w g2) and some ssd’s. Is the 9700k the better option and will it last? I guess i mean future proof of any new games demanding so much

I would first see how the 6700k handles a 5700xt. It still should hold up pretty well.

If you still want to upgrade:

The I7 9700k is a very good CPU and should be all you need for just gaming, although I would prefer a 3700x.

The motherboard you linked is a good one.

The MSI Z170a Gaming M5 is not compatible with a 9700k. Even though the sockets are both LGA 1151, from 7th to 8th generation there were changes made to the socket that makes Z170 motherboards incompatible with newer CPUs like a 9700k.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I would first see how the 6700k handles a 5700xt. It still should hold up pretty well.

If you still want to upgrade:

The I7 9700k is a very good CPU and should be all you need for just gaming, although I would prefer a 3700x.

The motherboard you linked is a good one.

The MSI Z170a Gaming M5 is not compatible with a 9700k. Even though the sockets are both LGA 1151, from 7th to 8th generation there were changes made to the socket that makes Z170 motherboards incompatible with newer CPUs like a 9700k.
Yea, its just the pc im using rn isnt all that great it was built in 2012 my brother and step dad built it, its a amd phenom ii x4 960t 4core and 4thread with a pny gtx 960 2gb, the mobo is a asus m588a-m with 16gb of ram, I literally have every game at low settings, fortnite is surprising thatll work, i tried star wars jedi fallen order some medium/low settings 20-50 fps, gta 5 online is no more than 40 fps driving around, fallout 4 (all low settings) is 30 fps, im just worried that if and when i do the 9700k it wont last but a year idk what im thinking but i get the free pc in mid February then towards the end of march is when ill upgrade my stuff, is it possible to send a link to pc part picker?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Yea, its just the pc im using rn isnt all that great it was built in 2012 my brother and step dad built it, its a amd phenom ii x4 960t 4core and 4thread with a pny gtx 960 2gb, the mobo is a asus m588a-m with 16gb of ram, I literally have every game at low settings, fortnite is surprising thatll work, i tried star wars jedi fallen order some medium/low settings 20-50 fps, gta 5 online is no more than 40 fps driving around, fallout 4 (all low settings) is 30 fps, im just worried that if and when i do the 9700k it wont last but a year idk what im thinking but i get the free pc in mid February then towards the end of march is when ill upgrade my stuff, is it possible to send a link to pc part picker?
Here is the link to what i want, like i said i already have a case and psu and the ssd. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Didn't copy the right link.

Try the 6700k first. You probably will be surprised.

It likely wont last for too long, but you could use it untill dissatisfied then upgrade. You probably will get better performance for the money down the road.
Yea, i mean at the time my buddy spent $500, its just crazy. Sorry it somehow messed up but i edited again so it should be fine now. Could i ask you another question for your honest opinion, so when game say minimum requirements like cpu ima make this up but lets say it says “i3-3220” does it go by the clock speed or that cpu or up, up meaning newer cpu’s. I know if it says certain gpus anything lower in speed or gb size would struggle to run the game but cpu requirements confuse me