[SOLVED] What's the max current/power rating for the 8-pin PCIe connector really? Where does 150W come from?

MoreMoneyThanSense

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
For the sake of argument let's assume 16AWG wire, the biggest wire the connector is rated for.

The documents I am referencing:

Connector: https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ps/PS-5556-001-001.pdf
Pin: https://www.molex.com/webdocs/datasheets/pdf/en-us/0039000077_CRIMP_TERMINALS.pdf

Hopefully these are the "standard" components here.

For the pin it says the max rating is 9A, 600V.

For the connector it seems more complicated. On Sheet 8, for a given AWG it says that the max amperage depends on the "number of circuits," though I am unsure if this means number of pins carrying current or number of pins present in the connector regardless of their voltages. I assume it's the total.

For 16AWG on an 8-pin it seems to correspond to 7A.

The PCIe8 pin connected to a PSU as far as I know typically has has three pins at 12V, so to me that implies the max is 3 * 7A * 12V = 252W.

Is this correct? Does this imply that even though the pins are capable of higher current, it should not be done in this particular connector? Some other sources I read mention 288W limits by using 8A instead, 3 * 8A * 12V = 288W.

So what in general is the right interpretation here? What's the max power this thing is rated to deliver? (I suppose I am asking in the context of 12V but I am also curious about max in general... the connector itself is also rated for 600V, so maybe if we had four pins ground, four pins at max 7A, that's 28A total at 600V, so 28A * 600V = 16,800W? Though I suppose that's not realistic? Just trying to wrap my head around the various barriers and ranges here).

Furthermore, why is the limit that I often hear 150W? (for instance if you google "pcie 8 pin max power" you see 150W quoted frequently in various forums - not sure if misinformation or if that's correct and I am missing something)

Last edited:
Solution
Your formula is correct, max amperage is usually base on the circuit being supplied. you have listed the plug, socket and wire but not circuit traces on the motherboard or the pci slot, etc....... The weakest link determines max rating. also note that ambiant heat reduces max current as things are closer to melting at higher temperatures. Designed to outlast warranty.

Every power supply manufacturer has various designs.
You need the power supply specs.
A power supply can have 125 amps 12 volt dc but carried out via may wires.
It may have several seperate 12v supplys each with it's own circuit (wire/s)
It may have a combination of the two.
Lets not forget about 5volts and -12volts as they will have similar circuitry.
Your formula is correct, max amperage is usually base on the circuit being supplied. you have listed the plug, socket and wire but not circuit traces on the motherboard or the pci slot, etc....... The weakest link determines max rating. also note that ambiant heat reduces max current as things are closer to melting at higher temperatures. Designed to outlast warranty.

Every power supply manufacturer has various designs.
You need the power supply specs.
A power supply can have 125 amps 12 volt dc but carried out via may wires.
It may have several seperate 12v supplys each with it's own circuit (wire/s)
It may have a combination of the two.
Lets not forget about 5volts and -12volts as they will have similar circuitry.

Solution