Question Whats the minimum my motherboard needs to get into Bios

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I have an Asus ProArt X570 Creator WIFI. I'm doing the first install. What's the minimum my motherboard needs to get into BIOS. I do want to know this for further knowledge.

My current issue is The boot process. I have the CPU, Memory, M.2, and Video card installed. My result after the startup button is pressed.
  1. Fan connected to CHA_Fan3 does a quick spin and shuts down.
  2. My Arctic Liquid Cooler II 280, a tiny fan where the cooler meets the CPU, does a grunt. It gets a nug but not a spin.
  3. My Video Card has a very small light that stays lit.
Don't know what to do.
Bob

Last edited:

rgd1101

Don't
what's the minimum my motherboard needs to get into BIOS. I do want to know this for further knowledge.
that depend on the cpu

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
The CPU is my starting point. From this point, I'm trying to figure out what is not working. But I don't know what I need to get into the BIOS.
Example: I have 3 M.2 installed. So I know if I eliminate two sticks and still have the same issue, it's not the M.2 I ELIMINATED.
Bob

My PC (* Means Installed)
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
  • ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Asus ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • Samsung 960 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Samsung 960 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 980 4 GB Video Card
  • Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case
  • Corsair HX850i 850
Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 34.0" 3440 x 1440 100 Hz Curved Monitor
Logitech Pro X Headset
Logitech MX Master 3 Wireless Laser Mouse
Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPU, GPU, some memory, and power is all you need. And a keyboard and monitor.

Remove half the memory to start, or go down to a single stick. 4 stick configurations can be tricky to get going, especially large capacities and unmatched kits.

No drives at all are needed for the BIOS.

BIOS should support all possible CPUs except 1st gen Ryzen, so that shouldn't be a problem, but you could install the latest BIOS using the BIOS Flashback button. Might improve memory compatibility as well, definitely worth trying. On first boot it may take a few minutes for it to train the memory, but I would expect the fans to spin up and stay on.

Double check all power connections. Make sure you are using the GPU display connector and not the motherboard's.

The GPU is older, so this may be a case of PCIe 4.0 vs 3.0 and you needing to force the setting, which can be problematic without a display. You may need to borrow a newer GPU.

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
CPU, GPU, some memory, and power is all you need. And a keyboard and monitor.

Remove half the memory to start, or go down to a single stick. 4 stick configurations can be tricky to get going, especially large capacities and unmatched kits.

No drives at all are needed for the BIOS.

BIOS should support all possible CPUs except 1st gen Ryzen, so that shouldn't be a problem, but you could install the latest BIOS using the BIOS Flashback button. Might improve memory compatibility as well, definitely worth trying. On first boot it may take a few minutes for it to train the memory, but I would expect the fans to spin up and stay on.

Double check all power connections. Make sure you are using the GPU display connector and not the motherboards.

The GPU is older, so this may be a case of PCIe 4.0 vs 3.0 and you needing to force the setting, which can be problematic without a display. You may need to borrow a newer GPU.
I believe the X570 has internal graphics. At least it has an HDMI connection on the back panel. So if I use this, that will eliminate one of the possibilities.
Bob