Discussion What's the most money you have ever wasted on a PC or upgrade?

Hazzahead

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
I bought a prebuilt PC, thinking that it was the best deal out there, only to find that the PSU was horrible and the RAM too. I wasted about $200 AUD and regret it so much.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I bought a technically prebuilt system back in the day, but it was prebuilt by a custom PC shop, and it had an 8320e, some motherboard that could overclock it (can't remember what it was), 8GB single stick RAM, and a 2TB WD Red HDD in a fairly mediocre case with a basic aftermarket PSU and no GPU, and I bought it for about $400 to $500 when it really should've cost me more like $250 to $300 thinking it was a decent deal LOL.

I ended up getting a GTX 9800+ from XFX used on Craigslist for $40 to throw it in there just to play older games like Splintercell and Half Life, and some emulators like PS1 and SNES.

Looking back on it now I am just blown away at how naive I was.

But since then I have learned a lot about PC hardware and custom building my own rigs, and have become an enthusiast of sorts.

Times really do change. And so do people.

Well all I can say is that lessons hath been learned.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Also, I am thinking that this might be better suited as a discussion thread rather than a question thread, since the topic at hand doesn't seem to pertain to the OP actually needing some kind of answer to a problem, but rather that they just want to get people to share some stories about their bad purchasing decisions that they've made in their life.

If I'm wrong, then dear OP, please let me know.

But if I'm right, then would a moderator please be so kind as to change the thread from question to discussion.