[SOLVED] Whats the most suitable Upgrade for my system? Easy install and Bang for my Buck?

Sep 11, 2019
Im want to buy a Graphics card (New or Used) for my windows 10 PC and am stuck for choice.
i am a fairly competent PC user and would like to buy and install one myself but not quite sure which one would suite my baseboard/motherboard and which would actually be a better upgrade... or if i can have more than one with my current system..any advice or help would be very much appreciated. or if i would be better to just get a whole new system if mine isn't too great. i play a lot of MMO/RPG Games.

Intel core I5=2400 CPU @ 3.10ghz
8.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
Lenovo Mothervoard
500w PSU

Again thanks for reading, cant wait to read your replies. :)

Budget: 300-500 GBP

Last edited:
Solution
Wow, compared to what you have now, this would work fine with your CPU and would offer magnitudes higher performance than your current card.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $279.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-19 03:00 EDT-0400

Depending on what the EXACT model of your current power supply is, you may need to include the replacement of that as well. The fact that you likely have an OEM system isn't very promising though since it's very likely that might be a proprietary system that does not allow for standard form factor upgrades such as ATX...
Wow, compared to what you have now, this would work fine with your CPU and would offer magnitudes higher performance than your current card.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)

Depending on what the EXACT model of your current power supply is, you may need to include the replacement of that as well. The fact that you likely have an OEM system isn't very promising though since it's very likely that might be a proprietary system that does not allow for standard form factor upgrades such as ATX power supplies and motherboards. We are going to need to know the exact model of your power supply and your prebuilt system model might be helpful as well. Model should be directly on the power supply label.

It's possible if that's an OEM Delta unit, that you might not need to replace it at all, but I wouldn't count on it. And if that unit has as many miles on it as I suspect it does, it may be a VERY good idea to replace it anyhow, even if you don't strictly HAVE to.

Solution

heebobo5

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016

PCPartPicker Part List

Depending on what the EXACT model of your current power supply is, you may need to include the replacement of that as well. The fact that you likely have an OEM system isn't very promising though since it's very likely that might be a proprietary system that does not allow for standard form factor upgrades such as ATX power supplies and motherboards. We are going to need to know the exact model of your power supply and your prebuilt system model might be helpful as well. Model should be directly on the power supply label.

It's possible if that's an OEM Delta unit, that you might not need to replace it at all, but I wouldn't count on it. And if that unit has as many miles on it as I suspect it does, it may be a VERY good idea to replace it anyhow, even if you don't strictly HAVE to.

This would be my recommendation as well. EVGA is also the manufacturer I would recommend but MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte are also good choices.

Reactions: Paddy.costello
Sep 11, 2019
thank you all for your comments so much so far,

heres my motherboard -Lenovo is6xm rev 1.0
my PSU is - ATX-500B

i know these arnt the greatest parts, so looking at it probably best to do a whole new upgrade on everything,

go, i7 or equal, 16gb ram, 1080+ Gpu, 550+ PSU....

though a new graphics card for the time being would be nice a little upgrade on my current rubbish one

Sep 11, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

So ive upgraded to the EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card,
i have also added a corsair CX650.
ive deleted all known drivers from the old nvidia card,
however when ever i seat the new card and turn on pc im getting no video display and a series of beeps...

any help?

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Reactions: Paddy.costello