Whats the next best component to upgrade on my set-up?

Jam00dle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my PC as currently it does not multi task as well as I would like.

I have a duel screen set-up and usually have multiple web browsers open, media players and voip clients at the same time as running ether Starcraft 2 or BF3.

SC2 takes it like a champ on MAX settings, BF3 however does not. Levels take allot longer to load than they should and gfx some times bug out even when I lower my gfx settings to low.

Because of all the applications I run at the same time I'm assuming that my 4GB's of ram is not enough. When I check my system when these problem occur its usually because im using max or close to max RAM. (My CPU seems to be fine)

Here is a summary of my PC specs:
www.jaynetdesign.com/images/Summary.png

The ram I am looking to upgrade to is 16gbs of the following.

"Kingston's KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX is a kit of two 512M x 64-bit 4GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules, based on sixteen 128M x 8-bit DDR3 FBGA components per module. Each module kit supports Intel® XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles). Total kit capacity is 8GB. Each module kit has been tested to run at DDR3-1600MHz at a low latency timing of 9-9-9-27 at 1.65V. The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3-1333MHz timing of 9-9-9 at 1.5V. Each 240-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +1.5V.

Model Name: KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX
Main Board: INTEL
System: DESKTOP
System Type: DDR3
M/B Chipset: INTEL P67
CAS Latency: 9-9-9-27 2N
Capacity: 8GB (4GBx2)
Speed: DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Test Voltage: 1.50-1.65V
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Type: 240-pin DIMM
Master Pack Dimension: 8.5 x 5.5 x 0.62 In (L x W x H)
Master Pack Weight: 0.26 lbs
Black PCB
Warranty: Lifetime"

What would you guys recommend, I have considered a 60GB SSD but i'm not really upfor the hastle involved in setting it all up.

All suggestions welcome! (however I don't really want to upgrade my gfx card or MOBO as I'm happy with these as are.)

Thanks in advance for your help,

I'm a bit of a noob.

Thanks,

Jay.

EDIT: I'm over-clocked to 4.39Ghz. forgot to mention.

Over 8GB of RAM is wasteful. But cheaper now that ever. I don' tlike Kingston, I'd get Corsair Vengance DDR3-1600.

An SSD will not speed up game play, only game loading (maps load faster during play).

But an SSD is well worth the "hastle." You'll never go back once you boot up in 20 seconds. The BIOS post takes the longest.

Jam00dle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

Thank you for your reply,

Would getting more than 8GB's total give me any extra advantages or non at all? I'm willing to spend the extra to make the jump to 16GB for a small increase in speed but if there will be non at all.. there is no point.

Keep in mind I run 2 screen and many applications at once.

Thanks for your help!

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Dual core processors are crap for BF3.

single player may work fine but they take a dump on multiplayer.

As he said, memory and an SSD will help loading but gameplay is limited to the cpu.

Intel pretty much screwed anyone over with the dead 1156 socket, best bet is to find a used I5 7xx or I7 8xx. Other than that its a new MB+CPU.

cmi86

Distinguished
Get rid of that dual core i3
Buy another 460 (or just upgrade to a higher performing single card solution)
An SSD

No 8GB is not wasteful, especially when you are having multi tasking isuues. Windows it's self snaggs 1.5GB on a typical install, a game like BF3 will pull another 2GB. What does that leave you with 512MB for all of the other tasks you would like to run ??

Jam00dle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

What mobo ideally would you suggest? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just enough to future proof my rig for a few major title releases and by another 460 to you mean crossfire?

Thanks for the help.

Jam00dle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

I'm over-clocked to 4.39Ghz. Is that sufficient as far as the CPU goes? (I really don't want to have to replace my mobo if possible)(

cmi86

Distinguished

I did not suggest you buy a motherboard, I suggested a CPU. Intel kind of side railed everyone 1156 (go figure) Dual cores are on their way out the door, my advice would be to try and find a second hand i5 or i7 for that socket as they will be quad cores.

Crossfire is a term used to describe the configuration of more that one ATI/AMD Graphics processor being linked together as one more powerful processing unit. The Nvidia (applicable to you) version of this is known as SLI.

cmi86

Distinguished

Not it is not sufficient. You are not running into issues because you lack clock speed, you are running into issues because you simply lack the cores needed to handle the applications you wish to run.

Jam00dle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

I live in the UK, Any ideas on a trusted site to get an i5/i7 from? I don't want to get one a realise its being sold because its broken.

G

get a sandy/ivy bridge motherboard and a i3-2120. regardless of the "popular wisdom" many dual cores still suffice for gaming, a sandy dual core beats a clarksdale quad core.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=144
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/44339-intel-core-i3-2120-core-i5-2400-lga1155-processors-review-12.html
it will cost you $150 US to upgrade your cpu, you might as well put that and a few bucks more towards getting a better platform.

G

it IS an upgrade going from clarksdale to sandy . . a i5 would be better, yes. [strike]but to say it is a "side-grade" is not correct.[/strike]

EDIT: oppsie :(

G

If overclocking scaled linear, which it doesn't.

G

*only*? :lol:
however, it would be better if i did retract my statement about i3-2120 not being a side grade to the oc'd i3-540 @4.39Ghz. it is a close call.

though "best" option is to get off the 1156 platform.

cmi86

Distinguished

Yeah don't pay any attention to that looniam guy. He is just an i3 fanboi, look at his icon lol. Honestly I would look on ebay from a reputable seller that offers a guarantee and a refund process if the CPU doesn't work.

On ebay for the same price as a new i3 2100 I found an i5 750 quad core that is compatible with your current motherboard.
Even is stock trim the 750 will destroy the 2100 especially when it comes to more heavily threaded things like BF3 Multi.
If you decide to learn how to overclock i5 750's can hit 4+ Ghz, 2100 has a locked multi and would be lucky to +300Mhz.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Some people and their off topic posts. Average game performance is not BF3. Sure, single player works fine, but join an intense multiplayer session and watch it struggle. Considering that is his main problem game, talking about all other games is 100% irrelivant.

G

and he mentioned multiplayer where??

try being helpful to the topic instead of trying to take people to task for posting against your point of view.
not the whole world plays the on a 64 player map nor are all benchmarks meant to satisfy your needs/wants.

seriously when tom's is honored to have you as a moderator would you then have the privileged of judgement, until then stfu.

G

the quad core is not an end all do all processor. quite a few dual cores can perform at a sufficient enough level.
quad cores have been around for over 7 years and still not much software has be developed to make use all the cores. all the kids come around and say quad core, quad core. build a few systems and help others with different components first. then maybe you can have a valid opinion.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
If he already has the I3 running at 4.39 ghz, I seriously doubt he is talking about single player since its been proven on every website that it runs as fast as any other cpu. If he is talking about single player then the issue is somewhere else.

Besides that, suggesting upgrading from an i3 to an i3 makes no sense in itself.