Discussion What's the oldest and/or cheesiest system you have Win 10 installed on?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Half the stuff listed in this thread is faster than what I use daily, lol. Where are the P3 and win9x era hardwares?

There's a local cancer treatment center that has an old Dell with a dual core lga775 with 2gb of ram that is on win10 in their 'library'.

Half the stuff listed in this thread is faster than what I use daily, lol. Where are the P3 and win9x era hardwares?

There's a local cancer treatment center that has an old Dell with a dual core lga775 with 2gb of ram that is on win10 in their 'library'.
Pentium 3 CPUs (or any 90s CPU that I know of) cannot run Windows 10 as they do not support the needed features. That's why you don't see them here.

Reactions: Krotow
Apr 6, 2021
2012 Dell Inspiron that died 2 days ago because of a power surge
4GB RAM
450GB Storage
Intel Pentium
Integrated Graphics
Windows 10 20H2

Windows 10 32bit builds can run with 2 GB RAM - sort of. But main issue with computers from 90-ies and around year 2000 is lack of features required for Windows 10. No ISA bus support in Windows 10 either.

I have installed Win10 on several 775 motherboards without drivers because those motherboards are far older than the Win10, the manufacturer support usually stopped at Win7, but they all worked fine.

So if your machine can boot from a W10 USB, it will work, especially for motherboards from well-known brands like Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, Intel, Dell...

I have Win10 installed on a MacBook using Boot Camp as well.

So if your machine can boot from a W10 USB, it will work
This, is a 100% "maybe". It depends on a lot of factors that are NOT "if your machine can boot from a Windows 10 USB". Just because you can boot from the USB does not, at all, mean that there IS going to be driver support for everything onboard. There could be partial support, full support, or no support AT ALL except for very basic, not-full-featured, drivers. The availability of generic, universal drivers, that do not allow full featured operation of the chipset, storage controllers, USB devices or audio chipset, would be a deal breaker for me and would force my hand to an older OS that does support full featured operation if no other remedy could be found.

And so far, over the last five and a half years, I've seen wildly varying levels of driver support on motherboards that had no issues with booting the installation media.

Reactions: Krotow
This, is a 100% "maybe". It depends on a lot of factors that are NOT "if your machine can boot from a Windows 10 USB". Just because you can boot from the USB does not, at all, mean that there IS going to be driver support for everything onboard. There could be partial support, full support, or no support AT ALL except for very basic, not-full-featured, drivers. The availability of generic, universal drivers, that do not allow full featured operation of the chipset, storage controllers, USB devices or audio chipset, would be a deal breaker for me and would force my hand to an older OS that does support full featured operation if no other remedy could be found.

And so far, over the last five and a half years, I've seen wildly varying levels of driver support on motherboards that had no issues with booting the installation media.
OP was asking what's the oldest/cheesiest system they've seen win10 on, not running perfectly. :D I would say usb boot counts. ;)

Jul 9, 2021
I would recommend minimum of Intel Sandy Bridge series (Core ix 2xxx). AKA 2nd generation Core i series of 2011.
It basically can do most of the latest (10th gen) Intel or AMD (Ryzen) CPU. For example, a Core i7 3770 is still quite powerful and have many upgrades options includes NVMe SSD support (if you want to run Win 10 smoothly)

I just arranged a deal for the following + a E6700 for $20 from a friend.
Pentium 4 2.8ghz without hyperthreading (Prescott 2004 model)
Dell PGA478 motherboard
2x512mb or 2x1gb DDR SD ram (not sure, but think its 2x1gb)
250w 20pin DELL PSU.

View: https://imgur.com/NlEbl8U

View: https://imgur.com/5Vz1j9f

I want to see if it can run Windows 10. I will run xp on it normally.

First, I have a few small hitches.
This is not a whole PC, rather the guts of an old dell, probably an old dimension or something. Because of this, these components do not include any optical or hard disk drive. I have an IDE laptop drive and cable, so that is not an issue.
However, I doubt this old of hardware can support booting from USB and i do not have any IDE cd/dvd drives.

I have the same motherboard but with Intel label, same CPU too.

Good to know that you can boot Win10 with it.

gremlinkurst

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
It's not old, but "cheesy" certainly applies. This damned thing is in my possession for ONE purpose and one purpose only: To keep me connected to the 'net when my real computer is in the shop...not that it's always in the shop, but I've had it since Xmas 2015, a present I gave myself for surviving a roadkill experience involving two deaths and over fifty surgeries, and every no0w and then it gets an upgrade or a part "ages out of the system," and has to be replaced. But, this backup computer would lose a race with molasses in January. Its ability to stream is a 50/50 proposition, only slightly better odds than craps. With how ***damned slow this mothertrucker is, you would think it was powered by Windows 3.1...but what can you expect from Walmart for $169?

Specifications:

Product Name: HP Notebook 14-cm0046nr
Product Model: 14-cm0046nr
Product ID: 6EV47UA#ABA
Product S/N: 5CG9174JD2
Microprocessor: AMD A4-9125 Dual-Core (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 2.6 GHz burst frequency, 1 MB cache)
RAM: 4 GB DDR4-1866 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
GPU: Integrated AMD Radeon™ R3 Graphics
HDD: 500 GB 5400 rpm SATA
CD/DVD: N/A
Display: 14" diagonal HD SVA BrightView micro-edge WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
Wireless comms: Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
Network card: Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN
Expansion port: 1 multi-format SD media card reader
External ports: 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only); 1 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI 1.4b; 1 RJ-45 Ethernet; 1 headphone/microphone combo
Dimensions: 33.5 x 23.4 x 1.99 cm
Weight: 1.47 kg
Power: 45 W AC adapter
Battery: 3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion
Camera: HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone
Audio: Dual speakers
Operating SYS: Windows 10 Home 64

My real computer isn't cheesy, but it'll get a new mobo and CPU next year. Specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P motherboard w/Intel chipset
16 GB Skilljaws DDR4 SDRAM
nVIDIA (Gigabyte) GeForce GTX-1660 Super Windforce / 6 GB GDDR6
i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core CPU (water-cooled)
Crucial MX500 2 TB SSD
650 W Power Supply
Windows 10 x64 Home (OEM) 21H2
EP-9636GS EDUB LOVE WiFi 6 / Bluetooth 5.1 3K Mbps Networking card

Status
Not open for further replies.