[SOLVED] What's the performance degradation on single-channel ram?

Jul 21, 2020
I've recently bought a Acer Aspire 5 that has a Ryzen 5 4500u for a great price, but I figure that the included 8 gb (4 gb soldered + 4 gb detachable) wouldn't be enough for my particular needs of some productivity and production work. I wanted to upgrade to 20 gb of ram but then I realized that the ram wouldn't be dual channel. I would like to do some light gaming on my laptop particularly FPS's before 2009, some minecraft, and maybe a city sim or so, but I know ryzen is so dependent on dual channel ram. Would there be any major or noticeable difference in fps or even in productivity or production work if I did this?

Solution
I've recently bought a Acer Aspire 5 that has a Ryzen 5 4500u for a great price, but I figure that the included 8 gb (4 gb soldered + 4 gb detachable) wouldn't be enough for my particular needs of some productivity and production work. I wanted to upgrade to 20 gb of ram but then I realized that the ram wouldn't be dual channel. I would like to do some light gaming on my laptop particularly FPS's before 2009, some minecraft, and maybe a city sim or so, but I know ryzen is so dependent on dual channel ram. Would there be any major or noticeable difference in fps or even in productivity or production work if I did this?
This thread on the Acer community forum confirms that the adding another module of a higher capacity will run...
Using different RAM will cause they are not in dual channel mode, but Flex mode.
You will get a little bit degradation performance than dual channel mode, around 5-10%.
But I think it's not a big problem, with pros you get a bigger memory.
You can find the result on youtube.

This thread on the Acer community forum confirms that the adding another module of a higher capacity will run slower in single channel mode after 8GB of ram has been used from soldered and the slot. https://community.acer.com/en/discu...d-8gb-of-ram-to-my-acer-aspire-5-a515-44-r4m5

Since you will be playing older games, I doubt you will have any issues with ram speed past 8GB. If you turn off programs before launching a game, you might be able to keep it in dual channel mode unless it goes past 7.5-8GB used ram.

Solution