Question Whats the performance loss with zombieload mitigation?

ch33r

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Im looking at getting a 9900K. But everyone is saying that with software mitigations, its just an expensive 9700K. Is there any truth to this? Also, is there a way to disable the software mitigation to get full performance? What is the real world loss of performance?

Im looking at getting a 9900K. But everyone is saying that with software mitigations, its just an expensive 9700K. Is there any truth to this? Also, is there a way to disable the software mitigation to get full performance? What is the real world loss of performance?
Phoronix seems to have the most comprehensive assessment:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mds-zombieload-mit&num=1

TL/DR
"If looking at the geometric mean for the tests run today, the Intel systems all saw about 16% lower performance out-of-the-box now with these default mitigations and obviously even lower if disabling Hyper Threading for maximum security....."

A question I have is are the mitigations going to be an easy-pick optional thing to implement? Or will they come built into OS updates and BIOS updates that will need an uber-geek to hack to disable?

Reason this matters is many so-called security 'experts' are claiming the exploit(s) are so difficult to use that the average home user is really not going to ever be at any risk. So I see people opting-out of mitigations and chancing it instead. A potential PR nightmare for Intel if those so-called 'experts' are wrong but I do expect bench markers to figure a way to disable mitigations and we'll wonder how they get such great marks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY