Whats the point of a lanbox

Max_46

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Im sorry, im newer to pcs. Im moving over from console gaming (im not a peasant).
But what is the point of a LANBox, and how do they work. I dont think i will need
one anytime soon, im the only pc gamer in my family.

Solution
A Lanbox is usually considered to be a somewhat portable pc that can be carried to lan party events.
Considering how strong laptops can be, I wonder if the lanbox is even relevant any more.

For gaming at home, you are looking at a desktop with a good monitor.
A Lanbox is usually considered to be a somewhat portable pc that can be carried to lan party events.
Considering how strong laptops can be, I wonder if the lanbox is even relevant any more.

For gaming at home, you are looking at a desktop with a good monitor.

Solution
Console: Friend invites you over and asks you to bring your console with you so you can play LAN on separate screens. You take your console and go.

PC: Friend invites you over and asks you to bring your PC with you so you can play LAN on separate screens. You now have to haul a 30kg behemoth to your friend's house.

This is where lanboxes come in. Basically, they are small, lightweight PCs built with portability in mind. They usually use some very small case (some even come with handles) and a mini-ITX motherboard with only one (or even none) graphics card.

If you mainly use a desktop rig at home you're looking at dropping 2 to 3 grand for a laptop that would have even comparable performance to a much cheaper lanbox. Of course if you'll also be going to places other than LAN events this may be more appealing, but for people that only need a portable machine for LAN events (or just need that sweet 150 FPS at 1080p) the lanbox is still very much relevant.