[SOLVED] What's the point of fully modular PSUs?

leonsk29

Commendable
Jul 3, 2020
What's the point for the existence of fully modular power supplies? I mean, fully modular means that all cables, even the motherboard and CPU power connectors can be disconnected, but it's not possible to use a computer without those two, so they'll be always present, no matter if they can be disconnected. I know there's some logic here that I'm missing, but I can't see it no matter what.

Solution
  1. Easier to install sometimes, you can remove all cables.
  2. You can use nice custom cables
  3. if a cable goes bad or is cut you can replace the cables.
  4. Seems all the nicer power supplies are fully modular (maybe its cheaper to product them that way?)

Good question and keep being a great member of our community.

Cheers

sonofjesse

Distinguished
  1. Easier to install sometimes, you can remove all cables.
  2. You can use nice custom cables
  3. if a cable goes bad or is cut you can replace the cables.
  4. Seems all the nicer power supplies are fully modular (maybe its cheaper to product them that way?)

Good question and keep being a great member of our community.

Cheers

Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Visuals, you know for those guys who have a case with glass and more light than a bakery display case inside.

Plus manufacturers can increase the price of a PSU just because it's modular, and sell replacement/extra cables that aren't included with it. Like Apple selling you a phone without a charger.
Third party scammers like cablemod honest businesses can also create their own cable sets based on the original design.

People buy Full Modular PSU because you can plug the cable you need only without having that huge cables mess you don't need to plug.

Not only that but Fully Modular PSU are almost the same price as the non modular and sometime they are cheaper.

For custom cables too of course but that's not why I bought a fully modular PSU. I don't even like RGB stuff.

What's the point for the existence of fully modular power supplies? I mean, fully modular means that all cables, even the motherboard and CPU power connectors can be disconnected, but it's not possible to use a computer without those two, so they'll be always present, no matter if they can be disconnected. I know there's some logic here that I'm missing, but I can't see it no matter what.

Because extensions are crap and some people like to have custom cables.

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS