Question What's the point of G-Sync V-Sync FreeSync for high refresh rates 120Hz+?

Penn2170

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
This isn't a facetious question. I have never found the appeal of VSync or even non-buffered sync solutions. When I gamed at 60Hz, I got over 60fps almost all the time by a large enough margin (~90fps) so that screen tearing was barely noticeable in any games. Then when gaming at 144Hz with a better PC, screen tearing at 100-144fps is simply not noticeable to me. For fps over 144, there's definitely no noticeable screen tearing. So with that, I'm really lost with why G-Sync is good at all? It seems to me to be a premium feature that costs more (maybe not so much true in 2019), but is only good for sub 60Hz gaming... which means you should just invest in better hardware not a monitor to accommodate bad fps. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

I guess only people gaming competitively feel the need to have fps over 100, most people will take lower fps and more eye candy. Majority of pc's out there just cant push those fps. If you have a freesync/gsync monitor, you still get fluid/smooth gameplay at lower fps, and you don't get screen tearing, or stuttering associated with fps changes with traditional vsync. If your using a 144hz monitor and have fps up around that mark, then no your probably not going to see screen tearing as much because frames and screen are refreshing faster than your eyes can see it..... but its still there. IMO the future will be all Freesync, nvidia has jumped on that bandwagon now too. Currently most high refresh monitors are Freesync capable, and prices are pretty reasonable, so there's no reason not to buy a freesync monitor really....

Reactions: boju

slingsrat

Honorable
May 31, 2016
It could depend on the type of games you play. Certainly with first person shooters with vertical sync off or G-sync/free-sync not enabled I can notice tearing if I spin the mouse around quickly regardless of the fps.

TRENDING THREADS