[SOLVED] What's the problem with my ethernet?

Jul 5, 2020
For some reason, the ethernet cable that I use for my wifi router is not consistent at all. The cable itself is fine but will randomly cut out and stop letting wifi come through my router. This issue has affected multiple routers that I've used over the last few years, and there's no real rhyme or reason as to when or why it happens. Could this just be a problem with the wire or maybe the modem? Unplugging the wire from the modem and plugging it back in usually fixes the problem but it makes no sense as to why it's not working 100% of the time, I would figure it would always be working or not at all.

Side note, I apologize if this is in the wrong section to be asking this.

Solution
modem is arris SB8200 and isp is xfinity. Haven't tried replacing the cable. Only issue is it runs through the wall so doing so would be a bit of a pain but not completely against the idea.
OK, well then the wall cabling is the weakest link. Are there wall plates with short cables or one long cable through the wall ?

kanewolf

Titan
For some reason, the ethernet cable that I use for my wifi router is not consistent at all. The cable itself is fine but will randomly cut out and stop letting wifi come through my router. This issue has affected multiple routers that I've used over the last few years, and there's no real rhyme or reason as to when or why it happens. Could this just be a problem with the wire or maybe the modem? Unplugging the wire from the modem and plugging it back in usually fixes the problem but it makes no sense as to why it's not working 100% of the time, I would figure it would always be working or not at all.

Side note, I apologize if this is in the wrong section to be asking this.
Unknown. What is the model of the modem? What kind of ISP service do you have? Have you replaced the cable with a brand new, factory made, cat5e cable?

Jul 5, 2020
Unknown. What is the model of the modem? What kind of ISP service do you have? Have you replaced the cable with a brand new, factory made, cat5e cable?
modem is arris SB8200 and isp is xfinity. Haven't tried replacing the cable. Only issue is it runs through the wall so doing so would be a bit of a pain but not completely against the idea.