Question Whats the problem with my system?

MrBucketHead

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
I recently purchased a PC on craiglist.
This is the pcpartpicker link https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cdash8230/saved/72BWbv

While I'm new to pcs, from what I understand this is a decent graphics card, but after installing the drivers I tried csgo, and I'm getting a stable 15 fps on all low settings. Any tips on what the bottleneck is in my pc or if the cards just a fake, please let me know.

Your parts list is set to private, just so you know. ;)

It seems something's wrong indeed, any potato could run CS:GO better than 15FPS. Have you plugged your monitor into your motherboard I/O (where the network port, USB ports and such are) or into your graphics card itself?

MrBucketHead

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019

It seems something's wrong indeed, any potato could run CS:GO better than 15FPS. Have you plugged your monitor into your motherboard I/O (where the network port, USB ports and such are) or into your graphics card itself?

I set the list to public, and my monitor is plugged into my motherboard

MrBucketHead

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019

MrBucketHead

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
So, what's your GPU, which ports it has and what input ports does it have, There's usally an adapter that can adapt from one uotput to certain input.
my pcpartpickerlink is public now, I had to hit apply, so you can look at the exact gpu there. I'm not exactly sure what the ports are, all I know is the monitor I'm using is connected to my motherboard with a blue screw on cable that I think is vga. I'm thinking maybe upgrading the monitor to a hdmi compatible on emay fix it. The current monitor is definatley old, maybe 4-5 years, but I know its rated for 60 hz, which was all I was looking for

MrBucketHead

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
As far as I can sees, GPU has one DVI port so you could use an adapter from DVI to VGA to connect your monitor to. Something like this; https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH
No, probably not. I'm pretty sure Nvidia no longer provides analog out, on any Pascal cards.

So, that would mean you either need to buy something like this:

Or get a monitor with a DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort input. In the longer term, this would be a good idea, as a monitor with only VGA inputs is either a really low-res LCD or a CRT that probably isn't in the best shape.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
To follow up on my previous reply, there are multiple kinds of DVI connectors, as shown here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

In order to use the simple converter type recommended by @CountMike , you need a card with DVI-I, which contains both the digital + analog sections. However, if you look at the specs for your card (or maybe one like it - I didn't see an exact model # on the PCPartPicker page):

It says the DVI output is DVI-D. Therefore, you must get an active converter, like the one I linked.

One downside of the active converters (besides bulk & price) is that they probably don't support viewing of movies with copy protection.

Instead of getting adapters, I would spend $100 on a newer monitor, or even less if you get one used. There are many 24" decent quality monitors on craigslist for under $100, even some gaming class ones with higher refresh rates and 1ms response times.

i5 K model CPU and 1060 video card on an old monitor with VGA connections is not really a balanced setup.

MrBucketHead

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Instead of getting adapters, I would spend $100 on a newer monitor, or even less if you get one used. There are many 24" decent quality monitors on craigslist for under $100, even some gaming class ones with higher refresh rates and 1ms response times.

i5 K model CPU and 1060 video card on an old monitor with VGA connections is not really a balanced setup.
im definately planning to upgrade to a higher end monitor in the 250 dollar range soon, but I wont have the money for a bit, and I'm fine with playing games on my current monitor untuil then. The adapter is just a cheap fix for a month or two. I'm just glad the cards not a fake haha