Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I have a P4 2.4ghz fsb533.
MSI mobo with sis655 chipset.
256 ddr400 kingston hyperx 1 stick
20g seagate =) getting a new one soon
Ti4200 128Mb chaintech
onboard sound

with this, am i suppose to lag if i play games like Medal of Honor: Breakthrough?

or is a case of harddrive lagging me?

spamming is an internet crime.

Did i just commit a crime?

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Yea you guessed it, not enough ram by a long shot, and I bet your 20 gig drive doesn't support ATA 100 either, which means that your Virtual ram is really having a hard time of it. Your card though is cool for the moment and shouldn't have any troubles playing it. But I would certainly think seriosly about getting more ram, 512 would do it but to really kick things off a gig.

And as you said, a new larger and faster Hardrive would certainly help you there.

Hope this helps.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
It may not lag, but more RAM should be helpful

----------------
Please vote in this poll: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39560#39560" target="_new">Should Tom Fire Omid?</A>

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, you didn't mention what OS. 256MB in Win 98 isn't as bad as in Win XP. I have played MOHAA just fine with 256MB ram. But yes, 512MB ram will help. And I agree with the statement your HDD is probably super slow for virtual memory. But I bet if you adjust your settings in the advanced menu, you can get most of that lag to dissappear. Did you mess with those? If you turned them up from default on a Ti4200, you are asking for trouble.

MOHAA/Spearhead/Breakthrough are among my favorite games, and we play them at the mini LAN parties I host. I have an XP1700+/Ti4200/256MB PC2100 system running Win XP that plays without lag. But I adjust the resolution and details in the advanced menu down lower than on the other systems. That said, I had a Duron 950MHZ/K7S5A/GF3/256MB PC2100 Windows ME system that I found I just could not set low enough in Breakthrough to keep the game enjoyable. It looked horrible and still the low fps was dropping below 30 fps too often.

Have you enabled the console and tried looking at your fps during gameplay. I always enable that and try to tune the system so it stays above 30fps as much as possible. You would be amazed at how big a fps hit is taken by turning up the details in the advanced menu. If I have to choose, I prefer smooth gameplay over higher details.

In case you haven't tried it. Go into the advanced menu off the main menu. Check Console. Then in the game hit the ~ key to bring up the console. The type "fps 1" without the quotes and you will see your fps during gameplay. To turn it off just hit ~ and type fps 0

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

jiaruigoh

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
im using winxp professional.
I frequently run into warnings of virtual memory not enough now that you mention it :)

at the moment, i'll probably get a new harddisk before a second stick of ram since my budget is around 90.

But my mobo has those dual ram thingy which i remember means if i use 2 stick of the same ram wld make it more than twice as fast :(

dilemmas.. how does wd1200jb sound?

pauldh

Illustrious
The Western Digital Special Edition drives are great. I have used loads of them and now prefer the oem one to the retail because you get a 3 year warranty instead of 1 year. Great drive for the money and plenty fast.

Maybe you are almost out of HDD space or just have your Virtual drive settings too low. Anyway, a new fast drive with loads of free space paired with letting Win XP manage your virtual drives would ba a nice improvement. As far as ram, I was not aware that the sis655 supported dual channel. But I wouldn't stress over it. If you had an 865 or 875 and an 800 bus P4, then you'd want 2 matching stick in dual channel.

Good luck. Enjoy the game. I can't wait until Medal of honor Pacific Assault comes out. Pushed off til the end of June though. :frown:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

jiaruigoh

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
the sis655 can do dual ddr up to 4gb. at least thats wat the specs say :)

thanks all

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I've played MOHAA @1024x768 on a rig with WindowsXP Pro, Duron 1.2GHz, 256 PC2100 and a GF4 MX440 64MB without any noticable slowdown so your system specs should be adequate.

Are you talking about lag during online play? Have you tried single player with the same result? Perhaps it's an internet connetion issue. If it is try sorting the game servers by ping time and find the lowest ones you can.

<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441" target="_new">My Comprehensive LiteOn tools guide</A></b>

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Buy more RAM before a new hard drive if your priority is gaming. It doesn't matter how quick your hard drive, if games are being cached to the HDD instead of RAM, your games will suck.

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
i couldn't agree more..spend the money on more ram and your whole system will speed up. Buy the HD, and everything will perform the same as before.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>