[SOLVED] Whats the problems?

Jun 6, 2021
Hi,so i have Nighthawk R7000 on 1st floor and its fine,and use Tenda ac23 on 2nd floor,and im using two Nokia G240 Router on 3rd floor and 4rd floor on my house.

while im testing the speed on r7000,i've got more than 300 to 900mbps,the same as ac23,but when on G240 on 3rd and 4th floor,the speed for downlink are about 20-40mbps and the uplink are about 350-600mbps,i've connected all the router with CAT6A cable and while i test the LAN using laptop,it fast as the main router,should i buy a new router for 3rd and 4th? because we got bad wifi and too much dead spot on our house

what good router for 12000sqft?,what should we do to make less router to cover all the spot?
while im going to backyard and pool,theres only one bar and its so laggy,while im asking to the local network technican,they said theres too many concrete blocking the signal.

did anyone can help?

Solution
Concrete blocks could be a factor (wireless connections only) but there may be other reasons as well.

A new router is unlikely to provide any additional benefit. The transmission power is limited by law. So unless one of the current routers (Access Points) is failing (and proven so) then I would not start by purchasing a new router.

Try, just for testing purposes to move wireless routers/access points) around a bit to determine if any network speed improvement can be gained. Change only one thing at a time.

Keep notes to document what you did and what happened.

= = = =

Overall, more information is needed.

How many network devices (wired and wireless) are on your network?

Could be the current wiring configuration and/or...

Ralston18

Titan
Concrete blocks could be a factor (wireless connections only) but there may be other reasons as well.

A new router is unlikely to provide any additional benefit. The transmission power is limited by law. So unless one of the current routers (Access Points) is failing (and proven so) then I would not start by purchasing a new router.

Try, just for testing purposes to move wireless routers/access points) around a bit to determine if any network speed improvement can be gained. Change only one thing at a time.

= = = =

Could be the current wiring configuration and/or how the connected devices (routers) are physically connected.

Which router is responsible for providing DHCP IP addresses to network devices?

Only one router should be doing so and I would think that that router would likely be the Nighthawk R7000 - is that correct?

The other routers should all have their DHCP function disabled. Are the other routers configured as Access Points? How are they configured?

Are you able to provide a simple sketch of how the routers are all connected? Or otherwise describe the connections/connection paths now in place?

For example: did you run a separate Cat 6a Ethernet cable from one of the Nighthawk R7000's LAN ports to a LAN port on each of the other three routers? Any patch panels, Ethernet wall jacks, or network switches being used?

If so, sketch out the network, scan in, and post the sketch here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Lastly: where did you get the Cat 6a Ethernet cable? There is a lot of counterfeit and otherwise cheap Ethernet cable being sold.

The cables need to be pure copper (not copper clad aluminum) and 22-24 AWG in thickness. Unshielded twisted pair, round - nothing flat.

Reactions: YehezkielLee
Solution
Jun 6, 2021

= = = =

Could be the current wiring configuration and/or how the connected devices (routers) are physically connected.

Which router is responsible for providing DHCP IP addresses to network devices?

Only one router should be doing so and I would think that that router would likely be the Nighthawk R7000 - is that correct?

The other routers should all have their DHCP function disabled. Are the other routers configured as Access Points? How are they configured?

Are you able to provide a simple sketch of how the routers are all connected? Or otherwise describe the connections/connection paths now in place?

For example: did you run a separate Cat 6a Ethernet cable from one of the Nighthawk R7000's LAN ports to a LAN port on each of the other three routers? Any patch panels, Ethernet wall jacks, or network switches being used?

If so, sketch out the network, scan in, and post the sketch here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Lastly: where did you get the Cat 6a Ethernet cable? There is a lot of counterfeit and otherwise cheap Ethernet cable being sold.

The cables need to be pure copper (not copper clad aluminum) and 22-24 AWG in thickness. Unshielded twisted pair, round - nothing flat.

yes sir,the nighthawk r the main router with dhcp server,the isp router dhcp was disable,all lan cable to another router are connected on nighthawk lan port,lan 1 to the isp router,lan 2 to synology,lan 3 to 2nd floor and daisychained ( lan2 and lan 3 on 2nd floor / tenda ac23 to 3rd and 4th router,so they have full bandwith sir.

all the cable was ftp cat6a (straight) but its 26AWG,i think its cheap one.

i think the problem was with the nokia g240,because when im trying to directly connect my pc lan from 2nd floor router,its working fine.

the first floor had 2 rooms blocking the wifi near the stairs,idk but wifi can spreading vertically or my house was haunted,cuz the main router wasnt even detected while im on 3rd floor,but the 2nd router can be detected all over the nearest zone,maybe my nighthawk was defected or even theres alot of interfere maybe.

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model modem or modem/router is that ISP router?

As I understand your connection(s) description (with ----> representing an Ethernet cable):

ISP === DSL, coax, fiber(?) === >ISP router (or is that a modem) ----> [LAN 1(?)] Nighthawk Router.

then from the Nighthawk Router:

[LAN 2] ----> [LAN Port]Synology Router (2nd floor)
[LAN 3] ----> [LAN Port] Tenda AC23 Router (2nd floor)
[LAN 4] ?

Then from a single LAN port on the Tenda AC23 Router ---->[LAN port]G240 (3rd floor)[LAN Port] ---->[LAN Port] G240 (4th floor)

(Feel free to correct my line diagram understanding as necessary. Do be sure to note if and where you are using any WAN ports. Be sure to include any other network connected devices such as printers, storage, or switches.

How many wired and wireless network devices are being supported?

Issues:

1) The actual present physical wired connection paths between routers and other devices needs to be established.

2) And unfortunately, with possibly sub-standard Ethernet cables, the wired connectivity is suspect. FTP is foil twisted pairs for shielding. Not necessary for use in a home network environment and may cause even more problems if not properly installed - even if the cable is compliant with current specs and standards. UTP is all that is needed.

Does the FTP Cat 6a cable you have include any grounding wires? Just a bare wire without any insulation around it?

Did you purchase the cable with connectors (plugs) installed or did someone install the connectors for you after the cable was run?

3) Any routers (as asked above by @USAFRet) connected via WIFI? If so where?

Reactions: YehezkielLee
Jun 6, 2021
What make and model modem or modem/router is that ISP router?

As I understand your connection(s) description (with ----> representing an Ethernet cable):

ISP === DSL, coax, fiber(?) === >ISP router (or is that a modem) ----> [LAN 1(?)] Nighthawk Router.

then from the Nighthawk Router:

[LAN 2] ----> [LAN Port]Synology Router (2nd floor)
[LAN 3] ----> [LAN Port] Tenda AC23 Router (2nd floor)
[LAN 4] ?

Then from a single LAN port on the Tenda AC23 Router ---->[LAN port]G240 (3rd floor)[LAN Port] ---->[LAN Port] G240 (4th floor)

(Feel free to correct my line diagram understanding as necessary. Do be sure to note if and where you are using any WAN ports. Be sure to include any other network connected devices such as printers, storage, or switches.

How many wired and wireless network devices are being supported?

Issues:

1) The actual present physical wired connection paths between routers and other devices needs to be established.

2) And unfortunately, with possibly sub-standard Ethernet cables, the wired connectivity is suspect. FTP is foil twisted pairs for shielding. Not necessary for use in a home network environment and may cause even more problems if not properly installed - even if the cable is compliant with current specs and standards. UTP is all that is needed.

Does the FTP Cat 6a cable you have include any grounding wires? Just a bare wire without any insulation around it?

Did you purchase the cable with connectors (plugs) installed or did someone install the connectors for you after the cable was run?

3) Any routers (as asked above by @USAFRet) connected via WIFI? If so where?

hi sir,seems like the problem was from the 3rd and 4th router itself,its a Nokia Gigabit Router.

im buying a new ac66u router and the problem was solved.

while using the nokia garbage router,i only can achive 35mbps,while using new ac66u i get about 130 to 300mbps,very far from the speed when im in 1st floor or with cable

the topology like this

1st floor : isp - mikrotik - nighthawk router + synology - cat6a cable to 2nd floor
2nd floor : cat6a cable to tenda ac23 - tenda ac23 to 3rd floor with cat6a cable
3rd floor : cat6a to nokia gigabit router - to 4th floor with cat6a cable
4th floor : same nokia router.

the're like in a daisychain like usb hub in usb hub.

for now im already give two of nokia router to my friend.
already buy a ac66u for 3rd floor and just using my old gigabit switch for 4th floor cuz i think its a waste if i buy another router again.

the signal was acceptable in 4th floor from 3rd floor,but when im walking into balcony on 4th floor,the signal was lost.

but i think its okay with this setup cuz im already spent too much money for this wifi setup.

anyway thankyou so much for every replies

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome.

I will add a suggestion that you make a simple sketch or diagram that shows all of the existing paths and connections.

Label to show device names, port #'s, etc.

Having the diagram will likely prove helpful for future troubleshooting or if something gets disconnected or otherwise changed about.