[SOLVED] What's the proper way to run ethernet through an adjacent wall?

Jul 3, 2020
I just moved into a house and need to get ethernet into the room I am going to use as a home office. My modem and router are in the living room, which is adjacent to the office room. In fact, the wall I have my desk on and the wall the coax jack is on in, in the living room, is a shared wall.

I don't care about getting ethernet anywhere else in the house, just to my desktop PC. What's the proper way of doing this to make it look nice? What will I need? As of right now I was just thinking of drilling a hole through the wall and running a Cat 6 cable between the two. But that seems sloppy.

Solution
I just moved into a house and need to get ethernet into the room I am going to use as a home office. My modem and router are in the living room, which is adjacent to the office room. In fact, the wall I have my desk on and the wall the coax jack is on in, in the living room, is a shared wall.

I don't care about getting ethernet anywhere else in the house, just to my desktop PC. What's the proper way of doing this to make it look nice? What will I need? As of right now I was just thinking of drilling a hole through the wall and running a Cat 6 cable between the two. But that seems sloppy.
The most professional looking way is to add new wall boxes to each side within a single stud cavity. One box on the right hand stud and one...

kanewolf

Titan

The most professional looking way is to add new wall boxes to each side within a single stud cavity. One box on the right hand stud and one on the opposite stud. Then fish ethernet cable between the two holes. Install the boxes by sliding them over the ethernet cable. Punchdown the keystone jacks and mount the cover plates.
The simple way is to drill a hole all the way through and just feed ethernet cable. Then terminate the cable after pulling through the wall.

Solution
Jul 3, 2020
The most professional looking way is to add new wall boxes to each side within a single stud cavity. One box on the right hand stud and one on the opposite stud. Then fish ethernet cable between the two holes. Install the boxes by sliding them over the ethernet cable. Punchdown the keystone jacks and mount the cover plates.
The simple way is to drill a hole all the way through and just feed ethernet cable. Then terminate the cable after pulling through the wall.

Wiring a keystone jack seems a bit intimidating to me. Admittedly I am looking for the easiest DIY way to go about this, as I need to do it relatively quickly. That said, I don't want to ruin the aesthetic of my home.

Would there be anything wrong with grabbing two of these and running a patch cable through the wall?

kanewolf

Titan
Wiring a keystone jack seems a bit intimidating to me. Admittedly I am looking for the easiest DIY way to go about this, as I need to do it relatively quickly. That said, I don't want to ruin the aesthetic of my home.

Would there be anything wrong with grabbing two of these and running a patch cable through the wall?
No. I suppose those would work. I couldn't use the white in my house but as long as you can, go for it.