Whats the Standard?

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Thanking you in advance for your patience and help... :wink: Just wondering if anyone knows the standard at which it is best to Burn Data DVD's (ie: just backing up loads of files)?? I have just bought a TDK 4xSpeed Dual Format Burner (404N but known in the US as 440N) now apart from having to update the firmware to v1.08 and it now burns to my cheap DVD-R's without spitting them out and calling them "illegal media" it seems to be a bit better.

My main issue is that Nero6 Ultra edition will allways error at the end of the burn stating that it cannot finish disc-at-once? (I am unable to select any other burning method as the option is greyed out) I can successfuly burn to these discs in with the bundled pinnacle software but once burnt, my toshiba dvd-rom drive in the same computer cannot read from them and will either spin up and lock until eject or not even spin up at all. I can only read from them with the TDK drive which is worrying as I need to put the DVD into other machines to transfer files. Is there a certain standard for burning eg: iso mode 1/2 ,joilet, multisession etc??? or a particularly good app for burning?

PS: have tried burning with a TDK DVD+R and that seemed ok but surley something is afoot if I cannot burn to DVD-R's? without all these problems...Maybe Im being stupid (dont answer that! :lol: :wink: or maybe i'm just doing something basic wrong) but any and all help would be appreciated.

Domo Arigato

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2100+, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool:

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Tackle one thing at a time.

Try switching your DVD media to an expensive kind, like TDK or Maxell, stay away from memorex, verbatim and khypermedia.

Try switching your DVD app.
Recordmax can burn dvds.
OR try a 5.xxx version of nero. I've never had an issue with nero, but i do use the 5.xxx version. Not 6.

If they above do not work, its just the drive. Sorry for breaking it to you, but the TDK isn't a great dual format writer and if +R works, then just stick to +R.

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
will give them a try...may as weel experiment with the apps on my cheap DVD-R's and see about that. My only concern with not using DVD-R's is that my Panasonic DVD Player in the Living room states it will play DVD-R's on the box but not DVD+R....

Thanks for your help :cool:

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, PNY 64Mb Ti4200. :cool: